Chapter 68: Storm's End

After 2 days of planning, we were finally ready to launch an attack on the Siren ship. With Zuikaku's intel, we were ready to storm the place. We put together a Carrier Task Force, a Strike fleet with Zuikaku its centre, and a submarine fleet to wreck havoc among the enemy ranks stealthily. It's might be a little overkill but that's the way I like it.

In order to minimise fuel and ammo, Zuikaku agreed to ferry everyone using her ship to the mission area.

We would have started the operation right now, but the storm engulfing the area is making it impossible. The girls are taking shelter inside Zuikaku's ship

"Oh well, let's go through the plan again. The Carrier Task Force will take out as much enemy ships as they can. After that, feign a retreat and lure them away from that giant ship. The vanguard fleet is made up of Hiryuu, Souryuu, Victorious, Shouhou, Fusou and Yamashiro. The escort fleet will be Yahagi, Ryuuhou, Kumano, Suzuya, Tokitsukaze and Amatsukaze. We will be using standard bombardment tactics and holdout tactics to clear and lure as much Sirens as we can. The Submarine Fleet will assist in the attack operation and do the same thing."

"I will lead the Strike Fleet close to the giant boat and start destroying it. From the plans I found in the shared database, the inside is pretty much flooded. Our main goal will be the generator room, where I believe Shoukaku-nee-san's... body is being held." (RA Zuikaku)

"That's dumb. A waterlogged ship? How is that thing even floating right now?" (Yamashiro)

"Siren technology. Even I don't understand it. Whatever the case, we will storm in and make a beeline to the Generator room. Since it's practically indoors, Zuihou-san, Agano-san, and Ooyodo-san will stay outside to fend off the Sirens while Prinz Eugen-san, Shigure-san and Shiratsuyu-san will follow me inside." (RA Zuikaku)

"Shouldn't you stay outside as well? You are an aircraft carrier too. Being indoors will prevent you from launching your planes." (Hiryuu)

"This katana is not for show. I'm perfectly capable of close-quarters combat. If need be, I can even use my planes to increase the sharpness and damage output of my katana." (RA Zuikaku)

"Again, how does that even work?" (Yamashiro)

"I'm leaving them in your care. So please, make sure they come back to me alive."

"Don't worry. I can protect them with my shikigami. In the first place, I already told you it's better if I went in alone." (RA Zuikaku)

"You think the others would let me agree to you going for a suicide charge? Look, even Zuihou is making a disapproving face."

"Why are you singling me out?" (Zuihou)

"Alright alright. Save your argument for later. We have a job to do." (Hiryuu)

The rain has finally stopped and the dark clouds are slowly dissipating. The girls made their way up onto the flight deck.

"Do we climb down like before?" (Ryuuhou)

"Can't you just jump?" (RA Zuikaku)

"Let's go! Yahoo!" (Shioi)

"Cannonball!" (Goya)

"Weeee!" (Iku)

Aside from the submarine girls who happily jumped and dived into the water, the other eighteen shipgirls just stared at her. If I was there, I would be doing the same thing.

"I-I was just kidding. I'll drop the ladders." (RA Zuikaku)

The girls climbed down the ladders and moved to their respective fleets. After everyone is on the water, Zuikaku jumped down and her ship split into blue cubes before reconverging onto her body.

"Everyone, ready?"

"Yep." (Hiryuu)

"Of course we ready." (Suzuya)

"Ro-chan is ready to blow them up." (Ro)

"Then, let's do this. Start the operation!"

"Let's carefully, and also boldly, fight on through! Fleet sortie! Let's completely beat them! Recon properly!" (Hiryuu)

The carriers drew their bows and prepared their planes.

"2nd CarDiv! Attack corps, take off!" (Hiryuu)

"Right, let's go for the big ones!" (Souryuu)

", begin take-off! Now, let's get started!" (Victorious)

"This feels good... 1st Attack Corps, take off!" (Ryuuhou)

"Attack corps, please begin take off!" (Shouhou)

The planes took to air and made their way towards the horde of Sirens in the distance. Moments later, explosions, fireballs and thick black smoke can be seen as the planes finish the first phase of bombardment.

"Ohoh. They are angry." (Souryuu)

"Fleet, battle formation! Forward!" (Hiryuu)

"Yamashiro. Don't fall behind." (Fusou)

"Yes, Nee-sama!" (Yamashiro)

The combined fleet moved into Cruising Formation 4 and advanced towards the Sirens. Another wave of bombers and fighters took flight as the first wave circled back to their owners.

The horde of angry Sirens can be seen getting closer.

"Alright~! The I-400-class' magnificent battle is beginning!" (Shioi)

"I don't really like to fight but... I have no choice...!" (Hachi)

"Load tubes 1 through 4. Now, let's go increase our accomplishments!" (Imuya)

The submarines dived and advanced into the battlefield. With the submarines in play, the number of explosions increased even further.

"Are we going in now?" (Zuihou)

"Let me check." (RA Zuikaku)

An orange flame appeared on Zuikaku's flight deck and morphed into a plane. It's kind of like how Ryuujou launches her planes from her scroll. The plane took off and flew over the battlefield.

"Hiryuu, Shioi, status?"

"There is a lot of them, but we can manage." (Hiryuu)

"As long as we are lucky enough. I already know I would be the first one to take a heavy hit." (Yamashiro)

"Yamashiro, don't say such things. You are just going to jinx it." (Suzuya)

"That's right, Yamashiro. We will be fine." (Fusou)

"It's going pretty well~" (Shioi)

"I noticed a severe lack of AS attacks from them. Maybe they did not expect an submarine attack?" (Hachi)

"This will be a cinch dechi." (Goya)

"Don't get cocky now."

At least everything is going smoothly for now. The Siren's are thinning out so this could be a good chance to punch through.

"Zuikakau?"

"I know. It's now or never." (RA Zuikaku)

"Carrier Task Force, begin retreating and pull them along with you. Submarines, continue sinking them from the shadows."

"Roger!" (All)

"Fleet, retreat! Let's get out of here." (Hiryuu)

"Thank you, everyone. Let's move in!" (RA Zuikaku)

"Finally! I was starting to get bored." (Shiratsuyu)

The Strike Fleet start up their engines and begin moving towards the large Siren ship. Black and burnt metal debris were scattered all over the water. There are even lifeless bodies of the Executor-class ships. Their creepy, expressionless faces stared at the girls as they passed. Charred limbs were also scattered amongst the metallic debris.

"Ugh. Creepy." (Agano)

"Eek! Is that one still alive? I could've sworn it's eyes are following me." (Prinz Eugen)

"Just don't look at them. It will be so much better." (Ooyodo)

'What a sight to behold... Had I tried to charge in on my own, this would have been my final resting place..." (RA Zuikaku)

"Incoming torpedos! Port side!" (Shigure)

"Evasive maneuverers!"

The girls split up to let the torpedoes pass through their formation. They turned to see numerous mass-produced Sirens ships approaching them.

"Looks like not all went to chase after the others. I would feel bad if that happens." (RA Zuikaku)

"Vanguard Formation! Prepare for battle!

"Vanguard Formation? What is that?" (RA Zuikakau)

"You don't have such a formtion?"

"Zuikaku-san, just remain in your position." (Ooyodo)

The fleet moved into formation, with Zuikaku in the center.

"Huh. Interesting. It looks like an arrow." (RA Zuikaku)

"I'll now show you the true power of the Ozawa Fleet." (Zuihou)

"A never-ending swarm of enemies... I'm used to it!" (RA Zuikaku)

The two carriers launched their planes while the rest primed their guns.