Chapter 42: Decision... Part 2

Zuihou will sink again if things go on like this...

I need to do something...

Anything...

I don't want to lose her again...

Pull her out of the operation.

She doesn't need to go into battle.

She only needs to stay by my side.

Before I knew it, I was standing right in front of the docks. I entered the changing room and placed the maintenance sign at the entrance. This way, no one will disturb us. It's a little awkward discussing such a topic while a girl is having a bath. Well, in this case she is getting her injuries treated but it's still taking place in the baths. Shouhou said she was depressed. It's definitely because I shouted at her earlier.

I knocked on the door leading to the baths,

"Zuihou, you wanted to talk?"

...No answer. I knocked again.

"Zuihou, it's me. You there?"

Once again, there is no answer...

She is ignoring me, isn't she? Once more, if she doesn't respond, that means she doesn't want to talk to me now,

"Zuihou, can you hear me?"

"Hyah! Y-yeah?" (Zuihou)

There she is. Thank God.

"You okay in there? I called you but you didn't answer."

"I'm fine. Sorry. I was just holding my breath underwater." (Zuihou)

That explains why she didn't reply before. At least I know the reason.

"I heard you wanted to talk now?"

"Eh? I didn't say such a thing." (Zuihou)

Oi, Shouhou. You tricked me. Oh well,

"Is that so? Erm... Since I'm here now, can I discuss something with you? If it's a bad time, we can do it once you are repaired."

"I-it's fine. We can talk now." (Zuihou)

...Even though I'm the one that asked to talk, I have no idea how to start. Erm... Ah. Whatever. Let's just get to the point.

"Zuihou, I-"

"Admiral-" (Zuihou)

Ah.

"You can go first."

"No. You go first. I insist." (Zuihou)

Then,

"I'm sorry for shouting at you earlier. It's just that... It pains me to see you get injured that badly."

"It's okay. You were just worried, that's all." (Zuihou)

Do it! Say it!

"Zuihou, the operation may only get even more dangerous and unpredictable from here on out. You understand that right?"

"Yes. I understand." (Zuihou)

"That's why, I'm pulling you out of the operation entirely. Ryuujou will replace you."

"Eh?" (Zuihou)

"Ryuujou can carry more planes and is slightly faster than you. The fleet will be reinforced and you don't have to get hurt anymore. I will make the necessary arrangements immediately."

Please agree with me. I'm just trying to protect you.

"A-Admiral... What are you saying?!" (Zuihou)

"You don't have to participate in this operation anymore. You can help me with the reports and the planning. I still have to create a few contingency plans for EO."