Chapter 59: Honourable Memory

The following day, after a simple breakfast consisting of pastries we bought from Lawsons, we went back to the Port area to visit the Memorial Ship Mikasa. A remnant of the Russo-Japan war, this pre-dreadnought ship now stands as a symbol of pride and how the country defended it's independence against the Russian threat.

At least, that's how it was marketed to the public.

This hulking beast is now a museum, with guides teaching the public about Japan's naval history and a tour of the ship. I have been hear once, when I was a cadet. We were essentially taught history and given a little taste of what being in a battleship would look and feel like. Before they tossed us into a real ship and were forced to spend a few months out at sea.

It was a fun and interesting experience though, minus the whole being thrown into the brig for misconduct and having to scrub the deck on a daily basis.

"Wow! Look, Admiral! It's the Mikasa!" (Zuihou)

It's still has large and fascinating as I remember it. Though, not as great as my girlfriend.

Zuihou's outfit today is just as cute as yesterday's. She is wearing a white shirt and green skirt with a beige cardigan. Her hair is tied in braids and a red bow sits on her collar, completing her schoolgirl-esque look.

"Wow! I always wanted to see it up-close!" (Zuihou)

"It's amazing, isn't it?"

"Yeah!" (Zuihou)

"Huh? Eh? How do I... Hmm?!" (???)

A tall young woman with dark brown hair tied in a low ponytail stood beside us, fiddling with a camera. She was wearing a black military-style outfit, reminiscent of those old military garbs that were used in the Showa era. She has the complete the set, with the cape and the hat. Apart of those horns on the side of her head and her exposed belly button, she really looks like those military officers from the olden days. She is probably a cosplayer.

"Need help?" (Zuihou)

"Eh? Oh. I'm sorry. I'm not too sure how to work this thing. Technology isn't my strong suit." (???)

"Let me see."

The lady passed me her camera.

Wait. This is a old film camera! And it's not one of those disposable one! They still have these in the market?

"I find the ones with the screens were hard to use, so I got one which I thought I was familiar with. But I still can't figure it out." (???)

Lady, those are easier to use than this old relic. I look through the lens and couldn't see anything. It's pitch black. How do you operate these things again? I'm so used to digital cameras that I forgot how to operate a traditional one.

"I took a photo to test it out but now it doesn't seem to work anymore." (???)

"Ah. Admiral, try turning that dial-" (Zuihou)

"Until the image shows up. Now I remember how these things work."

I looked through the lens and turned the dial until I can see Zuihou's cute face. I am so tempted to snap the photo right then and there but this is someone else's camera.

I passed the camera back to the lady.

"Got it. You need to turn the dial after every single shot."

"Oh. So that's how you do it. Technology has come a long way." (???)

Lady, this is something even my grandma could operate. How inept are you? Furthermore, she doesn't look older than my mom. She looks like she is her early twenties.