Chapter 44: Jealousy

Shigure slept beside me as I held her hand,

"Sorry for troubling you, Admiral. I even broke the agreement." (Shigure)

"It's no big deal. I told you to come to whenever you need to. It's been a while since we did this too."

She squeezed my hand as she laid on my bed. She had another nightmare and immediately ran to my room. It has been quite a while since her last attack. There is a sign outside the door which indicates whether or not another Shipgirl is with me or not. Everyone agreed that only one shipgirl can occupy the space beside me at any point in the night. Because of her nightmare, Shigure couldn't help it and entered my bed despite the sign being up.

Even though I had done this numerous times before, this time, it feels morally wrong. Maybe because I'm in a relationship, albeit secret, but I'm feeling guilty. This does not count as cheating, right?

And it doesn't help when my secret girlfriend is just right behind me.

"I'm not taking up too much space, am I?" (Shigure)

"No. This bed is big enough for three people. Besides, Zuihou is small. She doesn't take up much space."

I felt something move and hit my shin. I turned to look at Zuihou. She is asleep, right?

"What is it?" (Shigure)

"It's nothing. I will hold your hand until you fall asleep."

"Mmh. Thank you, Admiral. Good night." (Shigure)

Shigure snuggled closer towards me. I can hear and feel her soft breath against my chest. Once again, this is not cheating. Right? Suddenly, I felt something pressing against my back. Zuihou is asleep, right? Right?!

Being sandwiched between two girls like this makes me feel like some harem protagonist. I somehow feel young again.

The next morning, the way Zuihou is acting sort of confirms my suspicions. She was definitely awake last night.

Today, apart from the usual expeditions and patrols, I had the members of Force Z and the 10th Submarine take the day off. I have received reports that the 2nd mission is almost reaching completion and it will be our turn very soon. We could be ordered to sortie anytime so might as well make sure everyone is at full strength for the upcoming mission. They can do whatever they want, except for leaving the base.

For a while now, ZUihou has been glaring at me. Her cheeks puffed up like some angry hamster. And when I turn to speak to her,

"Erm, Zuihou?"

"Hmph!" (Zuihou)

She turns away from me. She is throwing a tantrum...

Is this her way of showing that she is jealous? If so, it's doing a good job at making me feel confused and amplifying her cuteness. Hmm... How do I cheer her up?

"Zuihou, is something wrong? Why aren't you talking to me?"

"..." (ZUihou)

Of course. Simply asking her won't be enough to incite a response. I have seen that kind of thing in anime and manga.

Why am I so inexperienced in this?

I flipped through the list of new and upgraded equipment HQ will be sending to us. This bomber... Ah. This could work.

"Zuihou. Look. They are sending us a new aircraft."

I held the piece of paper in front of her. Zuihou glanced at the paper and returned to ignoring me, before taking another look and snatching the paper from my hands. Her eyes widened and beamed,

"Admiral! When are they going to send it to us?" (Zuihou)

Yes! Got her!

"Within the next couple of days, it seems. Can't wait to try it out?"

"Yes. This new Tenzen looks so cute and cool!" (Zuihou)

The plane which I showed her is the new Tenzan Model 12A Kai with Type 6 Airborne Radar Kai. It is essentially a straight upgrade from the usual Tenzen Torpedo Bomber we have been using. This upgraded Tenzen Torpedo Bomber comes equipped with a tuned-up Type 6 Airborne RADAR and a radio altimeter for nighttime operations. It is a carrier-based torpedo bomber capable of performing night attacks, something which Zuihou has yearned for. Two sets of Night Operation Aviation Personnel are included in the equipment list, making this new night-time plane ready for combat upon acquisition.

I looked at the girl who is having fun looking and reading the stats for her soon-to-be new toy.

"If we are lucky, you may get to try it out during the operation. Your riggings might need to be recalibrated to hold the new equipment though."

"That's easy. The NOAP will be installed on my back gear. After some tweaks, it should be ready to go." (Zuihou)

"Come here for a bit."

I pat my lap. Zuihou looked at me, before getting up and walking towards me. She sat on my lap.

"Sorry. You were angry, right?"

"I know I shouldn't be. I'm just... scared? I know that's not why Shigure is doing this but I'm afraid someone else will take you away." (Zuihou)

I hugged her tightly,

"You know that's impossible. I only have my eyes on you."

"Really?" (Zuihou)

"Yes. Tell me. Which other girl have I done this to?"

I moved one hand to her thighs and slowly traced them. She flinched a little,

"Admiral, that tickles." (Zuihou)

I slipped my hand into the gap on the side of her shorts. Let's see... This part feels like skin.

"Hyah! Huh?" (Zuihou)

I loosend her muneate and slipped my other hand in her kimono top,

"Ahn. Admiral? Can you please stop groping my hangar? Nn!" (Zuihou)

"Now do you believe that you are the only one for me?"

"Alright. I get it already. I mean, quit it! You're being a bother!" (Zuihou)

I took my hands out of clothes. Zuihou turned around, pouting again,

"What kind of boyfriend does this kind of thing to convince his girlfriend?" (Zuihou)

I don't know. I only copying what I have seen in my doujin collection.

The knock on my door immediately made Zuihou jump off my lap and stood beside me. She retied and adjusted her muneate.

"Come in."

It was Ooyodo.

"Admiral, I have report. The 2nd mission was a success. HQ has given us the order to proceed with the Extra Operation!" (Ooyodo)

That was fast.

"Finally! Admiral, are we going to sortie now?" (Zuihou)

I can hear the excitement in Zuihou's voice.

"Alright. Gather the others. We will enter the first phase of EO today."