Chapter 47: Into the Night

"Despair and hope... Like two sides of a coin... Hehe... hahaha.. haha... Is that what you mean...? How amusing..amusing..amusing!! Congratulations! But this is the end!... What lies beyond this... is nothingness!" (Abyssal Mediterranean Princess)

The red hue wrapping around the Princess shined brighter and even more ominous than before. It's Abyssal constructs let out a beastly roar. Despite it's injuries, it's still standing strong. Figures, we couldn't take it down during the day. It still has some escorts protecting it as well. The sun has already set and we will need to drag the battle into the night if we want to finish it off.

Just as planned!

"All units, prepare to pursue!"

"We need to pursue them!" (Zuihou)

"Kihihi~ Alright, it's time to charge into night battle! Ready the torpedoes!" (Kawakaze)

"Alright! I have been waiting for this! (Hiryuu)

"It's payback time now!" (Souryuu)

"Will they be all right? Don't venture too far off." (Shouhou)

"Night attack corps,"

The four carriers drew their bows,

"Launch!" (Hiryuu, Souryuu, Shouhou, Zuihou)

All four of them launched a squadron of Night Torpedo Bombers. The same ones that were just delivered last night. This is the perfect time to test their prowess.

Sacrificing some space to equip these new Night Bombers and to install a NOAP, their attack power during the day was significantly decreased due to the decreased number of planes they can launch during the day. As much as I would like to finish that oversized abnormal merfolk during the day, luck has been on its side most of the time. Even with a SCAMP, which supposedly increases the planes performance, it still doesn't die.

So, we need to make our own luck.

Shipgirls, especially battleships, Cruisers and Destroyers, become stronger at night. This has been the trend throughout this war. For reasons unknown, their attack prowess increases when night falls. If Carriers rule during the day, the other ship types rule the night. But what if Carriers can obtain the same power up during the night? These Night Bombers were created for this purpose. Their effectiveness was well-known throughout the organization and finally, Maizuru has obtained this power.

The squadrons of Tenzan Model 12A Kai, each aircraft outfitted with a Type 6 Airborne Radar Kai, skilfully maneuverer past the Abyssals AA defences in the barely illuminated night sky. The closest one fired of signal flares, illuminated the enemy's current position. As if the red glow isn't that obvious already. Dropping their payload into the water, the the first wave torpedoes made a beeline towards their target. Multiple balls of fire appeared as the remaining escorts were wiped out. Some torpedoes made contact with the Princess but it wasn't enough to take her down. It did take a lot more damage than I expected.

"Alright, let's keep the pressure on them!" (Kawakaze)

"Nice, nice!" (Murasame)

Kawakaze and Murasame fired at the Princess, creating some holes on the oversized merfolk and its swim ring, but it shrugged it off like nothing.

"How nice... That's fine... Foolish girls... Just what do you expect beyond that!?" (Abyssal Mediterranean Princess)

Flames spewed between the Abyssal construct's teeth, before they open up and fired a barrage of shells.

"Full battle speed! Evade!" (Hiryuu)

The fleet sped up and dodged the first salvo of attacks.

"Whistling! It fired another one!" (Kawakaze)