Chapter 64: Investigation (Part 1)

I flipped through the file I have on hand as Yahagi spoke. While returning from an expedition, her fleet came across a fleet of Abyssals getting slaughtered by Sirens.

"The Abyssal fleet was eliminated but the humanoid Sirens were still standing." (Yahagi)

I flipped through the Siren file which HQ had collated and disseminated to everyone.

"Humanoid... An Executor type again. So they are tougher and more dangerous than Abyssals?"

"I'm not sure. Considering the fact that in both incidents, these types were up against normal I-class and Tsu-class variants, their victory was ensured from the beginning." (Yahagi)

"You did not engage them, did you?"

"No. As per your instructions, we observed the fight from a distance and made sure we weren't spotted. The Recon Seaplane I used also made sure they weren't spotted." (Yahagi)

"Good. Thank you for your report, Yahagi."

Yahagi saluted and left the office.

"That is the fifth time in six days now." (Shioi)

"The other bases also reported similar cases." (Ooyodo)

"I can't tell if these skirmishes are random or... Actually, you know what. Ooyodo,"

"Yes?" (Ooyodo)

"Go to the archives and fetch me the big map. The one with every single mission area."

"Understood. I will be right back." (Ooyodo)

"Did you figure something out?" (Shioi)

"Nope. But I have a hunch and want to see if it's correct. In the meantime, help me find the reports about Siren-Abyssal skirmishes by the other Admirals'. I think it's in one of these stack somewhere"

Shioi gave me an unimpressed stare.

"This wouldn't have happened if you sorted them out properly instead of playing and spending money on that mobile game." (Shioi)

"Look. The character I wanted is a limited 4 star summer servant which I can only get during the event's runtime. And since I was already halfway through it, might as well rush to complete it."

She let out an exasperated sigh,

"It can't be helped. Let's find those reports." (Shioi)

Yes!

Shioi and I sieved through the pile of reports to find what we are looking for. Soon, we managed to find all the reports and arranged them in order. Just in time for Ooyodo to return with a large map.

"Okay. Let's focus on sightings from our own."

"The first reported case was in Forefront of the Southern Seas during a sortie. 2nd, a Deep Sea Submarine Operation in the Southern Seas." (Ooyodo)

"It was scary that time. We barely had any weapons  and an Executor type almost spotted us." (Shioi)

"The third time was here. During an Enforced Rat Transport Operation. Fourth, during a sortie near Sav Island. Finally, Yahagi's expedition fleet observed a skirmish between the two factions on the way back from a Tokyo Express mission."

The three of us looked at the markers I had placed on the map. All of the skirmishes my girls had observed are centred in the Southern Waters.

"This is slightly concerning." (Ooyodo)

"Does this mean the Sirens are congregating in the Southern area?" (Shioi)

"It looks like it. But let's not jump into conclusions first. Next, let's look at Yokosuka's report. Their reports show a different location."