Chapter 18: An Impromptu Date

"Finally, we are going back home. Sleeping on a bunk bed after all these years makes me miss my own bed."

Zuihou and I are on the train, en route to Shin-Yokohama station. Once there, we need to take the Shinkansen Nozomi towards Kyoto, then take the Maizuru Limited Express all the way to Maizuru, and a short bus ride before we are home free. We had to leave a day earlier and spent a night at Yokosuka Naval Academy to avoid being late. We should reach home before 11pm.

"How do you feel about coming back to your birth place?"

"It was short but fun. The place changed a lot but there is still a familiar and nostalgic feeling to it." (Zuihou)

"Then, let's go back again some other time. Just for fun. We can bring the other girls who were born there as well."

Zuihou looked happy for a sec, before looking slightly disappointed, and giving a forced smile,

"Sure. Let's do it next time." (Zuihou)

"Eh? Zuihou, what's wrong?"

"Nothing." (Zuihou)

Why is she pouting?

"The next station, Shin-Yokohama. Shin-Yokohama. The doors on the right will open." (Train Announcement)

A few seconds later, the train begins to slow down. The station came into view and the train made a complete stop.

"Shin-Yokohama. Shin-Yokohama. Please exit here for the JR Yokohama Line and JR Central Line." (Train Announcement)

We grabbed our bags and exited the train. We need to exit the station and make our way to the JR station. For some reason, there is a large crowd gathering outside the station.

"You got to be kidding! How am I supposed to go home?!" (Angry Random Person 1)

"This is bullshit! You expect me to spend money and book a hotel here?" (Angry Random Person 2)

"My sincere apologies. The station is now closed. We are rebooking the trip for all affected customers. We sincerely apologize for this." (Station Employee)

What is happening?

My phone vibrated and the notification sound rang out. I received an email saying that our trip back home has been rebooked for tomorrow, 7.30am. Oi! What is the meaning of this? An incident? Huh?

"What's wrong?" (Zuihou)

"Looks like we are spending the night here. Our train was cancelled and rebooked for tomorrow."

"Eh? Why?" (Zuihou)

"It just says there has been an incident. Didn't mention what though."

What kind of incident warrants a total shutdown of the station? There wasn't an earthquake earlier or anything. I can see station employees running around, apologizing to the angry crowd. As frustrating as this is, let's not make their job any harder.

"What should we do now?" (Zuihou)

"We can take a night bus but we need to go to another station. I would rather avoid it though, since JR isn't gonna refund me the money for the tickets. Either way, we will only reach the base tomorrow morning. Let's just spend the night in a hotel around here."

"A ho-hotel?!" (Zuihou)

"Don't worry. I will try to book two rooms or one with a double bed."

We had a late lunch so I'm not that hungry. So might as well go shopping for a bit. I looked at the directory for the mall upstairs,