Chapter 2: Beginning to Feel Weird

Ahh, I should have known that moment would set off a flag. This kind of things always happens in anime and video games. You wish for something and the exact thing you don't want happening occurs. Of course this sort of thing would happen in real life. No, now is not the time for this. Focus on the situation at hand!

"At approximately 5 minutes ago, Flagship Agano sent out a distress message near Jam island. They encountered an some unknown Abyssal and the entire fleet is severely damaged. Right now, there is a combined Abyssal fleet patrolling the area they are trapped in." (Ooyodo)

All of them got severely damaged?! And a Combined enemy fleet is in the area?! This is bad! How is that possible?

"An ambush? Even before they entered the mission area?"

"Most probably." (Ooyodo)

This is weird. The Abyssals normally don't partake in ambush. At least not what the latest intel stated. They either just attack head on or sent an air strike. And this is the first time I have heard of a Combined Abyssal Fleet roaming in that area. Jam Island is a hangout spot of low-ranking Abyssals like Destroyer I-class and Light cruiser Ho-class. Whatever the case is, they need to get out of there!

"Ooyodo, what is their current status? Are they able to make a retreat immediately?"

"For now, they are taking cover behind some rocks nearby. However, the abyssal fleet which ambushed them is still roaming around the area. Retreat is currently impossible." (Ooyodo)

Figures... Let me think...

"Send out an rescue fleet and a suppression fleet. Tatsuta, Kuma, Souryuu, Hiryuu, Murasame and Kawakaze will be part of the suppression fleet. Have Kawakaze, and Murasame equipped with anti-air equipment, Tatsuta and Kuma with standard shelling setup, Souryuu and Hiryuu with Fighters and Dive Bombers. Their main objective is to slow down the enemy and cover the main fleet and rescue fleets escape. The rescue fleet will have Yahagi, Satsuki, Mutsuki, Kisaragi, Samidare and Yamakaze. Equip them with Emergency Repair Personal just in case. Tell the main fleet to stay where they are and wait for evac."

"The order has been sent out. All ships will be equipped and deployed within 20 minutes." (Ooyodo)

"Thank you. I will be back in the Command Center monitoring the whole op. I will take commend of the operation when I deem it necessary.

"Roger!" (Ooyodo)

I made my way to the Command Center. I trust that my girls can complete this impromptu rescue mission with a hitch, but I feel much more relief if I witness the operation myself. I watched as both fleets engaged the enemy, exchanging shells, torpedoes and bombs. Within an hour, the enemy fleet was decimated and Yahagi's fleet proceed to secure and extract Agano's fleet from the area.

At around 1630hrs, all 3 fleets returned. Everyone in the main fleet were all heavily injured and exhausted. Kuma and Kawakaze also took some damage. I could probably get them to give me report about the incident now, but that can wait. I told everyone to go rest up in the docks and went back to write up a report. The ambush the main fleet experienced makes me wonder why did a Combined fleet show up in that area. There was no need to deploy that much muscle over there. Then again, we have no idea what these monsters are thinking, or do they even think at all. Something forced them to do something unprecedented as this.

"Erm, Admiral?" (Zuihou)

"Hmm, what is- What the? Zuihou, what are you doing here? Why aren't you at the docks?"

Zuihou was standing at the doorway of my office. She staggered as she tried to walk. I rushed to Zuihou's sideas her legs gave way. I caught her before she can fall. She gripped at my sleeve, breathing heavily.