Chapter 19: A Night Activity and A Skewed Reason

I stroked Shigure's hair as she laid on the bed, fast asleep. Her eyes are swollen from all the crying.

"You're really good at this." (Murasame)

Murasame looked down from the top of the bunk and spoke in a soft voice. While the Carrier girls each have their own room, the Destroyers girls share one room in their dormitory. Three Destroyers are placed into one room. The bed is a triple bunk, which is sturdy enough and doesn't shake at all. One can toss and turn as much as they want and the other two won't feel it. Shigure, Yuudachi and Murasame share the same room.

"I have been taking care of you girls for how many years now?"

"Hehe. Only you can calm Shigure down and put her to sleep like this. Why don't you put me to sleep like that too?" (Murasame)

I examined Shigure's condition. She seems all right now. Her grip on my hand has loosened. Moving my hand away... doesn't yield any reaction. Good. She is in deep sleep.

"Alright. I'm coming up."

"Eh? Huh?" (Murasame)

I started climbing the ladder leading to the top bunk.

"You want me to put you to sleep, right? I'm gonna do that now."

"Seriously? No. I was just kidding. You don't have to do that." (Murasame)

"Too late. I'm here already. Scoot over a bit. I will pat your tummy until you fall asleep."

"Eehhh?! Wait!" (Murasame)

"Hush. You are gonna wake the others up."

I squeezed beside Murasame and gently pat her stomach. I just had to look for the non-elevated part of the blanket. Apart from giving her the attention she wants, I'm also getting back at Murasame for all the teasing. It's funny to see her this embarrassed.

"I'm not a child..." (Murasame)

"This is your chance to act like one."

"Uuuwwaaahhhh..." (Murasame)

"Come on. Go to sleep."

"Uuuuungh..." (Murasame)

I continued to pat her stomach gently. My mom used this for me during sleepless nights. Back when I was still a little troublemaker. Now that I think about it, I did caused a lot of trouble for her back then. Me and my younger brother both.

"Zzzz..." (Murasame)

Looks like she is asleep. That's fast.

I slowly and carefully moved and climbed the ladder.

"Ehe~ I can't eat anymore poi~" (Yuudachi)

What is Yuudachi dreaming about? She is drooling.

I slowly closed their room door behind me and made my way back to my office.

It's already the first week of June. The summer heat is starting to set in. Zuihou's and Yuudachi's birthday are just slightly more than a week away from now. I wonder what should I buy as a birthday present this year. Zuihou like model planes but giving that every year has to be lazy and boring after a while. Yuudachi... I can maybe buy a set of new clothes for her or a pillow. A soft toy might not be a bad idea as well.

I still have some time to think about, so let's give it some more thought.

When I reached my office door, I noticed the 'Occupied' sign was hung up, meaning there is a shipgirl inside. Didn't I hang up the sign saying I'm out at the moment? I went into my room and there was indeed a girl in my bed. The night lamp is on, just as how I left it earlier when Murasame came to me for help. Hanging on the wall hook was a school swimsuit and a sailor top. Looks like my little visitor has planned to change and go straight for morning roll call from here later in the morning.

Lying on my bed was a girl with brown hair and tanned skin. Shioi slept peacefully under my blanket. Occasionally, when I'm out tending to some things during the night, some girls may come in and sleep on my bed, regardless of whether or not I'm around. This kind of regulars include Tokitsukaze, Harukaze, Prinz Eugen, Zuihou, Shioi and some others. Zuihou would usually wait for me to return before sleeping, unless I took too long, then she would just doze off first.

I entered my side of the bed and stroked Shioi's head,

"Sweet dreams, Shioi."

I turned off the night lamp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The morning sun shining through that little gap in my curtain can piss off. What time is it now? I'm still very sleepy... Maybe I should just skip roll call.

I turned around to avoid the sun when I heard the sound of clothes shuffling. I opened my eyes a little, just in time to see a tanned girl putting on and adjusting the shoulder straps of her swimsuit. Shioi put on her orange top and proceed to secure her hair into a ponytail with her horn-like clips.

I think I'm awake now.

"Good morning, Shioi."

Shioi jumped and immediately turned around,

"Good morning, Admiral. Want to go for a morning dive?" (Shioi)

"Nah. I will take rain check. So, wanna talk about it?"

"Hm? About what?" (Shioi)

Shioi continued to tie her ponytail.

"Last night, you came here. Surely, there must be something eating at you. Or maybe you just want some company."

"It's the latter. I just wanted to sleep with you." (Shioi)

She flashed a mischevious grin,

"Do you need to sleep some more?" (Shioi)

"Maybe one more hour. I will be missing morning roll call. Tell Ooyodo that. Murasame can vouch for me."

"Shigure broke down again?" (Shioi)

"Can't be help. Her trauma runs deep. She needs all the help she can get."

"But you can't keep it up every night. What about you? You are barely getting enough sleep. It's bad for your health." (Shioi)

"I can always take a nap in the afternoon once I finish half of my work. Besides, this is the least I can do for her. I already failed her once. I swore never to let such a thing happen again."

That scene played in my head once again.

"That was not your fault! It's high time you stop blaming yourself!" (Shioi)

"Shut up. Just tell Ooyodo I won't be joining roll call."

I pulled the blanket over my head and closed my eyes.

"Stupid Admiral. You don't have to carry everything by yourself. You can rely on us more." (Shioi)

"Your lives are in my hands. If any of you sink, it's obviously my fault. Strategizing and pampering you all is the least I can do to protect and make this whole war less painful for everyone. Now, go on. Breakfast is waiting."

That's right. A powerless human like me can only do this. I only have my mind. Coming up with strategies to ensure their survival during a sortie is the only way I can protect them.

I felt some weight on top of my all of a sudden. Something was tightening around me,

"Please... Please don't take it upon yourself for our sake..." (Shioi)

It's all I can do.

Don't take it away from me.