Chapter 8: Team Meeting (Enterprise POV)

Day turned to night, as the five of us sat around the bonfire. This is worrying. After Belfast told us her findings, I finally grasp how serious our situation is right now. The girl we caught wasn't part of the Sakura Empire, neither does she have any knowledge of the Red Axis. Rather, she is a shipgirl belonging to a military organization based in Japan. She won't tell us the name but that's beside the point. It's not an understatement to say that we attacked and captured an innocent bystander.

"A world without Sirens... I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing." (Colorado)

"Instead, we got those gross fish-like creatures." (Javelin)

"By the way, where's Unicorn?" (Illustrious)

"She is with Zuihou. Maybe it's because they are both Light Aircraft Carriers so she feels a certain affinity to her." (Belfast)

"Is she alright? Zuihou, I mean. She was crying very hard earlier." (Javelin)

"She has calmed down for now. After you all left, she cooperated with me and Unicorn." (Belfast)

"Let me summarize things. First of all, there are already shipgirls like us in this world. Instead of Sirens, the enemy of humanity are creatures known as Abyssals. Am I right so far?"

"Yes. There is another thing I must point out, which personally I find interesting. When I showed her pictures of Akagi, Kaga, Prinz Eugen. She claimed she had no clue who they were. After I told her their names, she exclaimed and I quote that's not the Akagi-san or Kaga-san I know. Even Prinz-chan doesn't look like this." (Belfast)

"Er... Okay... What is that supposed to mean?" (Colorado)

"This is getting confusing..." (Javelin)

"Simply put, the shipgirls in this world share the same name as us. So there may be another version of me. Or you, Javelin. Is that right, Belfast?" (Illustrious)

"It's as Lady Illustrious says. There is a chance that we may see another version of ourselves in this world." (Belfast)

Even if you know this,

"How will all this help in searching for the Commander? We are still at a dead end."

"Enterprise is right. We still haven't got any leads. We know where we are, how this world operates, the existence of Shipgirls like us, but that's about it." (Colorado)

The table is silent. The whole point of engaging that girls fleet and capturing one of them was to figure out Commander's location. Instead, it was a total bust. We probably, no, we definitely made enemies with the local inhabitants... The last thing we need is another enemy.

"Erm... Are you done?" (Unicorn)

Unicorn emerged from the stair leading to our makeshift bunker. It's just large cavity in the ground. Belfast managed to turn it to our hideout for now. Is there anything this British maid can't do?

"We are just about done, Unicorn. How is the girl?" (Illustrious)

"Zuihou fell asleep. But she was crying again. She was saying something but Unicorn couldn't understand her." (Unicorn)

"Great job capturing a crybaby." (Colorado)

"Then why didn't you do it instead, Colorado?" (Javelin)

"Lock it down, both of you! We have a lot on our plate already. No need to add more stress."

"Enterprise is right. Right now, we need to stick together. We can't have a falling out now. Although not what we want, that little girl may provide us with other useful information. We just need to dig into it." (Illustrious)

Illustrious stood up and stretched,

"Haah. Let's turn in for the night. Especially you, Belfast. You have been working non-stop since we got here." (Illustrious)

"Lady Illustrious, I can-" (Belfast)

"Belfast, please. If our head maid is not in tiptop shape, what are we going to do? Get some rest. We will keep watch out here." (Illustrious)

Belfast remained silent for a bit,

"Understood. I made some hammocks and a few beds earlier. The hammocks are in the forest area and beds are in the bunker. I will be in the bunker if you need me." (Belfast)

"The six of us will take turns to keep watch. "Enterprise and I will take the first shift." (Illustrious)

"I always wanted to try resting on a hammock." (Javelin)

"I will be fixing my rigging before taking a nap. One of those planes manage to put a few holes in my guns and deck." (Colorado)

'Unicorn will stay with Zuihou. In case she wakes up." (Unicorn)

With that, this meeting was adjourned. The girls went their separate ways, leaving us.

"So, what do you want to talk about?"

"Did I say that was my intention?" (Illustrious)

"You wouldn't take first shift with me if that wasn't your attention."

She chuckled,

"You know me so well. As expected of the one who got first place." (Illustrious)

I looked at the ring around my finger. Memories of me walking down that aisle with the Commander are still fresh in my head. It's like it happened yesterday.

"There is no such thing as first or last place."

"Haha. He always says that, doesn't he?" (Illustrious)

Illustrious stretched her hand towards the sky, staring at the ring around her finger.

"Enterprise, what are your thoughts about this?" (Illustrious)

"About our situation or about Ao's location?"

"Ao. As one of his wives, what do you really think about all of this?" (Illustrious)

......

"I... I don't know. I'm so used to being by his side that this... this feels so weird. I don't want to believe that he is dead. Not until I see his body."

"You and me both." (Illustrious)

"The Sirens really love to make us play their sick games. We have been through a lot of their schemes but this is definitely their worst."

It happened all of a sudden. The girls sent on sorties and commissions started disappearing off the radar one by one. Search parties scrambled to look for them met the same fate. Then she appeared in front of us. The one dubbed 'The Empress", an Arbiter. She said 'You are the last ones. I expect good results.', before blinding us with a bright light. Next thing we knew, we are on an unknown island in the cold, with limited supplies and with Ao missing. After deciding to get out there and find our bearings, we mistook and fought the local fleet of shipgirls for the Sakura Empire. This can't get any worst. I wrapped my arms around my knees

"I miss him."

"There it is. The rare sight of a sad Grey Ghost." (Illustrious)

I feel a hand over my shoulder,

"Me too. That's why, we need to get all the information we can get, find the others, and look for him." (Illustrious)

"...Yeah."

Suddenly, there was the sound of a snapping branch and rustling leaves from behind us. Illustrious and I immediately turned to the direction of the noise. An animal? It's definitely not the wind. There was the sound of water splashing, followed by the sound of the waves crashing against the shore.

"What was that?" (Illustrious)

"An animal, probably. Maybe an Otter? Those creatures like to play around."

"Ufufu. Let's leave it at that." (Illustrious)

The sound of crashing waves and the crackling of the bonfire accompanied us while we wait for the next two girls to relieve us.