Chapter 56: Advice

I read through the lines of a familiar piece of paper out loud,

"Hast thou not gone against sincerity. Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds. Hast thou not lacked vigor. Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
Hast thou not become slothful... What is this?"

"Hah. I knew you forgot about it." (Bartender)

"You wish. This is that Gosei thing. The one they read out to us when I was indoctrinated into service. Why do you have this with you?"

The bartender snatched the paper away,

"To check if you remember it. You always have the shittiest memory in the first place. I found it while helping mum clean the house the other day." (Bartender)

This cheeky, Yankee-wannabe looking prick of a bartender is Tokomaki Nagito. And regretfully, my younger brother. Unlike me, who took the business course in university but became a government servant, he had a degree in mixology and made a career out of it. This quaint place in the quiet corner of Dotonbori I'm drinking in is his bar. I'm only came here because I wanted to consult with him about a problem I have.

"What? You brought it all the way just for me? How sweet of you."

"So? You came here to discuss something or just for some random rambling?" (Nagito)

"Can't I do both? Give me something fancy but not strong."

"Sure. Just a sec." (Nagito)

As he went to make my drink, I continued to talk.

"How's mum and dad?"

"The usual. Mum can't help but move around despite her knee. Dad's bored but he is entertaining himself with online chess and at the temple. You? How's life being a government slave?" (Nagito)

"Not bad actually. Working with such strong frontliners is always better than those porcelain throne warmers."

"The hell does that mean?" (Nagito)

"You know what I'm talking about, you dickhead."

"Your drink." (Nagito)

Nagito set a cup of brown liquid in front of me. It looks a little like Oolong tea.

"The heck is this?"

"Give it a taste. It's something new I'm experimenting with." (Nagito)

As soon as this liquid entered my mouth, I instantly spat it out.

God! It burns!

"The hell is this?!"

"Oolong tea." (Nagito)

"Why would you even call it that?!"

"The color is the same. And you can light it on fire." (Nagito)

"What kind of twisted ide-"

Hold on. I have seen this kind of thing in a manga before.

"You got to be kidding me. You did not just-"

That shithead started laughing like crazy.

"What? It's one of your favorite manga, right? Hell, you were the one that gave me that idea in the first place." (Nagito)

"You cu- That was years ago. Aghh! Damn! This shit burns!"

"Weakling. Here, some water." (Nagito)

"This better not be the other kind of flammable water."

"I'm not that crazy enough." (Nagito)

I chugged the cup of ice water that dickhead gave me.

"Much better. Christ. You trying to kill me?!"