Chapter 35: Finals

The exercise-tournament continued for the next few days and we are finally in the finals. After the third exercise ended in a draw, I had them do another round the next day, without the 'unexpected encounters'. The footage and data wasn't enough and conclusive to be placed in the report. In the fourth match, it was Yahagi, Hatakaze, Harusame, Samidare, Kisaragi and Kikuzuki in Blue 4 against Prinz Eugen, Mikazuki, Uzuki, Yamakaze, Umikaze, and Shiratsuyu in Red 4. The latter team won this round but lost the next to the submarine girls.

Round 5 was an intense one. Shouhou, Fusou, Akashi, Agano, Asakaze and Matsukaze in Red 5, while Yamashiro, Souryuu, Noshiro, Isonami and Usugumo in Blue 5. The fight became exciting when it turned into a battle between sister ships. Fusou and Agano versus Yamashiro and Noshiro. It was a one-on-one between the sisters. Fusou and Yamashiro, despite the latter refusing to fight in the first place, knocked each other out, leaving the 2 Light Cruisers to carry on the fight. Although they both had landed multiple shots on one another, Agano was victorious as she received 'less damage'. None of Noshiro's shots managed to score a critical hit.

The sixth round ended relatively quickly, unsurprisingly. Blue 6 had Hiryuu, Ryuujou, Mochizuki, Nagatsuki, Fumizuki, and Yayoi. Red 6 has Zuihou, Shioi, Minazuki, Suzukaze, Murasame and Shigure. I had initially expected Fumizuki, who is the only destroyer in the match to specialise in AA defense, to defend her fleet during the initial airstrike and drag the battle even longer. She was one of the first to be eliminated during the initial airstrike, alongside with Minazuki. Both the sky and water were filled with clouds of paint until Shioi, Ryuujou and Yayoi were left. Ryuujou ran out of planes after her Type 97 Torpedo Bomber missed. Shioi had a torpedo left whilst Yayoi had two depth charges. In the end, Red 6 won after Shioi's torpedo 'sunk' Yayoi and endured a depth charge explosion.

And so, the teams climbed up the ladder, eliminating one another until we are left with the final two turns. I have no idea when it started, probably since the beginning, but the other girls have started placing bets on which team is going to win. So long as it doesn't get out of hand, I don't mind. It's all in good fun. I would have joined if my expenses weren't tight this month.

The last match is between Red 5 and Red 6. Is this going to be another Battle between Sisters again? Both teams are together, checking their equipment and chatting with one another. For this one, I'm watching from the stands instead from the Commend Center.

"Heehee. We are going to get the 1st prize!" (Murasame)

"Nah. It's going to be ours." (Akashi)

"I wonder what the 1st prize is going to be?" (Minazuki)

"Maybe a new game console for each of us." (Suzukaze)

"I don't think this fits. Oh wait, I think it does." (Matsukaze)

With a twist, the torpedo slid into Matsukaze's launcher.

"Matsukaze, I told you, that hat is going to get in the way of battle." (Asakaze)

"This is so exciting~" (Agano)

"My shoulders are getting stiff..." (Fusou)

"..." (Zuihou)

"Zuihou, let's have a good match." (Shouhou)

Zuihou turned her attention from Fusou to her sister,

"Yes! I won't lose!" (Zuihou)

"You two, do your best! (CA Shigure)

"Yes. I will do my best." (Shigure)

"Kick their asses, Onee-sama!" (Yamashiro)

"All of you, good luck and have fun out there."

Alright, I think it's time to start.

"Ooyodo, are you ready?"