Chapter 67: The Crane's Plea

Goddamn. It's freezing out here. Maybe waiting for Zuihou at the pier at 5am in the morning is a bad idea. That being said, I had just finished the report a little while ago and couldn't really sleep. Why did I jump the gun and shot myself in the foot? I should have just reported my theory to HQ and let them handle it.

Shioi insisted on helping me with the report but I managed to put her to sleep first.

Based on the logs sent by Yamashiro, her fleet left the base at exactly 2300 hours. They encountered an aircraft carrier advancing towards Japan in the Philippine Sea, just past Guam, at 0142 hours and identified it to be the Zuikaku. She is moving slower than I thought. Though, I think that is almost the actual speed of the Zuikaku ship back in the 1940s.

They did not encountered any Abyssals along the way and apart from Zuihou and Zuikaku, the other 11 girls were fast asleep in the ships' bunk. The latest log at 0350 hours states that they just passed Naha and are approximately 2 hours away from the base.

They should be back any time soon. I already turned on the pier lights and designated the docking area.

As I waited, I heard the familiar sound of something going 'pu~lip~ pu~lip~' repeatedly, like semi-deflated squeaky shoes for babies. I turned my head to see a fairy walking towards me with a cup over her head.

"For me?"

She wiggled the cup. I guess that's a yes.

"Thank you."

I took the cup from her. It was hot chocolate. The fairy that just delivered this hot drink to me was a pilot fairy, judging by the pilot cap she is wearing. Although these fairies wake up early for morning air patrol, they don't wake up this early. It rubbed it's tiny hands together and put it on her mouth. She must be cold too.

"You're waiting for them too?"

The fairy gave a nod as she jumped onto my outstretched palm. I brought her to my breast pocket,

"Get in. It's freezing out here."

She gave a bow and disappeared into my breast pocket. After taking some time to adjust herself, she poked her head out. I sipped the hot chocolate and let the much needed heat circulate around my body

"Who do you belong to? Just raise your hand if I say the correct shipgirl."

She gave a nod.

"Hiryuu. Souryuu. Ryuujou. Ryuuhou. Shouhou. Zuihou."

She immediately raised her hand. So she belongs to Zuihou.

"So you're part of Zuihou's group. Why are you here? Shouldn't you be wit- Oh. You are part of the attack corps. Right."

The fairy's annoyed stare told me what I wanted to know. Since recon took precedence over striking for this operation, the attack corps were put on standby. In hindsight, I should have told them to carry some attack craft as well. I had severely underestimated the strength and numbers of the enemy this time. Despite being in this position for eight years now, I still have a lot to learn...

I feel a tap on my chest.

"What is it?"

The fairy pointed towards the sea. I can't see a damn thing.

Ah. There is something moving. And is it getting closer?

The shadow caught the attention of the turrets as their searchlights moved to centre on it. That's on big ship. There are also smaller humanoid shadows by its side

It's an aircraft carrier! They are back!

I finished the cup of hot chocolate and placed it on the bollard I was sitting on.