Chapter 34: That's it?

"Red 3, Blue 3, once you're ready, head to your respective starting points." (Akashi)

Both teams moved to their starting positions, doing some last minute calibrations and equipment checks along the way. Zuihou and Shioi are ready as well.

Red 3, led by Ooyodo, has Sakawa, Mikuma, Shimakaze, Amatsukaze and Tokitsukaze. Blue 3 consists of Suzuya, Kumano, Uranami, Asashio, Arashio and Kashima. Although Kashima is a training Cruiser, she still has pretty decent firepower. Not sure if it stemmed from her historical self being pushed into the war early or something she had built up the 2 years before I came into the picture.

"Both flagships, please confirm once you are ready." (Akashi)

"Red 3 flagship, Light Cruiser Ooyodo, all units on standby and ready to sortie!" (Ooyodo)

"Aviation Cruiser Suzuya here. Blue 3 is totes a-ok!" (Suzuya)

"Begin the 3rd exercise."

Akashi shot a green flare up into the air,

"Third bracket, start!" (Akashi)

"We'll decide this at long range!" (Zuihou)

Eh?

Nine squadrons of planes flew past Blue 3 as they stared in confusion.

"Already?" (Suzuya)

Zuihou had launched three squadrons of Tenzans, Suiseis, and Reppus each in quick succession. Oi oi oi. She wasn't supposed to do anything until the middle portion of the match!

"Enemy planes are incoming!" (Amatsukaze)

"What?!" (Ooyodo)

"Pyaa~!?" (Sakawa)

"I'm counting on you, my air wing!" (Mikuma)

Mikuma launched three Type 2 Seaplane Fighter Kais, in an attempt to intercept the planes. Those won't be enough to do anything.

Just as expected, all three seaplane fighters were shot down by Zuihou's Reppus and her bombers went to work.

"Oh wow. Mikuma, Tokitsukaze, sunk. Sakawa, moderate damage. Amatsukaze, heavy damage." (Akashi)

"No way! Ah jeez!" (Tokitsukaze)

"Aaa..." (Mikuma)

"... Alrighty then. Let's charge in!" (Suzuya)

"Okay... This was really unexpected." (Ooyodo)

Took the words right out of my mouth, Ooyodo. What is Zuihou doing? This wasn't what we agreed on. Then again, something like this kind of fits the whole 'unexpected encounter' thing I'm trying to do. But still...

"Wow. She took out two from the opposing team in a flash." (Zara)

"She is going to get it from me, that's for sure."

"Er..." (Zara)

"So slow! You can't get me like that." (Shimakaze)

Both teams have met up and clashed. Shimakaze is running laps around a confused and panicked Uranami.

"Eh? Eh? Eh?" (Uranami)

"Geez, Shimakaze. Hurry up!" (Amatsukaze)

"What did you say?!" (Shimakaze)

Shimakaze immediately launched three torpedoes as her three Renshouhou-chans fired a volley of shots at the 'enemy' Destroyer.

"Uranami, sunk." (Akashi)

"Noo!" (Uranami)

"Look. I'm fast after all." (Shimakaze)

"Yeah yea- Kyaa!" (Amatsukaze)

Amatsukaze's face was covered with blue paint.

"Amatsukaze, sunk." (Akashi)

"Didn't I tell you girls to keep moving? If this was a real battlefield, you would sink for real." (Kashima)

If this was a real battlefield, you wouldn't be quipping and talking like this in the first place.

"Kashima-sensei..." (Amatsukaze)

"Then follow on own teachings." (Ooyodo)

"Eh? Kyaa!" (Kashima)

Red smoke covered the training crusier,

"Kashima, sunk." (Akashi)

Ooyodo sped past with Sakawa following closely behind. Kashima had been hit by a combination of torpedos and cannon fire, courtesy of the two Light Cruisers.

"Oh!" (Shimakaze)

The three surviving ships from Red 3 charged towards Blue 3.

Ah. A Seiran is in the air. And I can see a torpedo trail. Shioi is on the move.

Arashio let out a shriek as the torpedo hit her and covered her in red paint. The Seiran dropped a bomb onto Suzuya but missed it's mark.

"Arashio, heavy damage." (Akashi)

"Geez... I look terrible..." (Arashio)

I let both teams continuing fighting for a while. ALthough Blue 3 has the numbers, Red 3 is able to hold their own and even managed to land a few hits, though not 'fatal' enough to take them out. There really isn't a time limit for these exercises. Rather, I don't need to impose a time limit. The girls themselves know when the battle is over.

The awkward sound of clicking filled the air as all of them squeezed the trigger on their guns. Apart from puffs of colored smoke and clicking noises, nothing came out no matter how much they squeezed the trigger.

"Eh? Seriously? Like this?" (Suzuya)

"This is a blunder." (Ooyodo)

"I'm out of ammo!" (Asashio)

And that marks the end of the 3rd match. A draw due to both sides running out of ammunition. That was anti-climatic.

"Uh... What was it again? Oh yeah. Match over! A draw!'

I don't know if their accuracy are poor or they are just that good at dodging. Lets go with the latter. It sounds better on report as well.

"Time for the fourth round?" (Akashi)

"Nah. Lets end it here for today. It's too hot out there now. We will continue this the next morning."

"Okay. It's your call." (Akashi)

"EHH? We are stopping already?" (Zuihou)

How did you-?

"Zuihou, this is a private channel. How did you get in here?"

I'm using an channel for the exercise marshals. Only Ooyodo and Akashi should have access to it.

"I have to wait longer for my turn?" (Zuihou)

"Stop being selfish. You will still have your turn. And besides, I still need to scold you. Care to explain what was that earlier?"

"Erm... Ehe?" (Zuihou)

"Zuihou?"

No answer.

"Zuihou?"

"I think she left the channel already." (Akashi)

Oh hoh hoh. She is so going to get it from me when I find her.