Chapter 15: Physical Examination

I sat by the pier, watching Shigure weave through the various obstacles floating on the water whilst firing at the moving targets. All five shots hit the targets. The Destroyer made a hard right and stopped between the two buoys. A large, wooden cut out of a Battleship Ta-class stuck popped up from beneath the surface. Shigure fired all of her remaining ammo at the wooden cutout, ripping it to shreds. The siren blared long and loud, signalling an end to the examination.

"No changes right?"

"More or less. Her performance is the same as last year's. She is a few seconds faster this time." (Ooyodo)

Shigure's guns folded onto her back as she slowly moved towards me. Once she was close enough, I reached out to pet her head,

"Good job. You did well."

"Fuu~" (Shigure)

It was time for the girls annual physical examination. Even though they are fighting almost every other day, this examination is to monitor their growth in a controlled environment. It's also a time for them to be creative and develop their own original techniques. There are two parts to the examination, an obstacle course and physical measurements, like the kind they do in human schools. Of course, Yuubari and Akashi will handle that portion.

I grabbed Shigure's arm and helped her up onto the pier with me.

"Admiral, thank you " (Shigure)

"Your welcome. Let's take a short break before going to the gathering hall.

Shigure is the last one for the day to go through the obstacle course. In fact, she is the last Destroyer to be tested. All of the other Destroyers and Cruisers took their physicals yesterday. Today was reserved for the Carriers, Battleships, and those with Aircraft-carrying capabilities.

"I'm sorry for delaying this long." (Shigure)

"What are you saying? You were severely injured. I can't have you take this exam when you are not in perfect condition. And besides, we don't mind."

Shigure is still making an uneasy face,

"Come on."

I squished her cheeks.

"Hueh?" (Shigure)

"Cheer up. If you make such a face, it will stick."

"Admiral~~" (Shigure)

I played with her cheeks for a bit before letting go. If the other puppy were to see this, she would definitely want in.

"Can you accompany her, Ooyodo?"

"Sure. Let's go, Shigure." (Ooyodo)

"Ah!" (Shigure)

I felt a tug on my shirt as I was about to stand up. Shigure looked at me with puppy dog eyes as she gripped my shirt. I can sort of guess what she wants.

"Fine. I will accompany you."

She instantly beamed at my words and gave me a bright smile. I told Ooyodo to rest for the day.

"Let's take a short break before going for your measurements. Where do you want to go?"

"Anywhere is fine. I just want to spend some time with Admiral." (Shigure)

How sweet. Any guy would swoon at her after hearing those words.

{You're kind, Admiral.} (Shigure of the past)

Enough!

"Admiral? Are you alright? For a moment, you look like you're in pain." (Shigure)

Crap. Did it show on my face? Pathetic...

I took off my shoe and shook it,

"Huh? I could have sworn I felt a stone in my shoe. Oh well. Let's go."

Shigure and I continued our little stroll along the sheltered walkway. Half of the Mutsuki sisters, namely Uzuki, Minazuki, Fumizuki, Yayoi and Satsuki, came over to exchange greetings and chat a little. They asked about Shigure's performance with the obstacle course and about theirs. After that, they returned to their game of tag. To think they just came back from a 12 long expedition. They have so much energy

After a while, we reached the gathering hall, where the examinations are taking place. It's pretty noisy inside.

As soon as I open the day,

"Ya gotten' bigga again?! Ya pickin' a fight?!" (Ryuujou)

"What is your secret?" (Yuubari)

"Eh?? I didn't do anything though." (Souryuu)

They are at it again... It's the same thing every year. As per every year, the shipgirls are all wearing gym uniforms with shorts, for the ease of taking their measurements. The 'Flat Alliance' is always going up against the 'Busty Demons'. Ryuujou came up with those names.

"Ugh... I didn't grow at all..." (Zuihou)

I see a downcast Zuihou walking out from behind the curtain. She held on to the piece for paper listing her physical measurements, like her height, grip strength, and more importantly, her three sizes. I'm not too sure what she was hoping for but I think she has hit her peak in terms of her body. She is probably not going to get bigger. Which is good. Please stay small for me.
All of this data ultimately goes to me but let's not tell them that.

"Go and change. I will be waiting outside."

"Unn... I'll be off." (Shigure)

"Oh my, Shigure! Are you feeling better?" (Kumano)

"Ah! Admiral, wait!" (Akashi)

"Oi! Akashi!" (Yuubari)

"Wha- Admiral is here?" (Agano)

Before I left the hall, Akashi called out to me. Akashi emerged from behind the curtains and rushed towards me,

"S'up."

"Aha~ Admiral~" (Agano)

Agano waved her hands as she bounced. Her chest bounced along with her, drawing envious glares from the Flat Alliance.

"Look at this." (Akashi)

She started whispering and showed me two pieces of paper, each labelled 'Suzuya' and 'Kumano'. It's the two Mogami-class CAV's performance ratings. Both of them have a sharp increase in their recorded strength, speed, maneuverability, and endurance. The last time I checked, they were at the peak of their game. Now, it has changed.

"How is this possible?"

"That's what I wanted to ask you. Did HQ inform you of anything? Like a Kai Ni or B Kai?" (Akashi)

I haven't received any blueprints for such an upgrade. Usually, when their performance starts to increase exponentially past their supposed limits, it means an upgrade for that specific shipgirl is impending. The fairies in HQ start to draw up blueprints and send them to the District said girl is posted in and once they start to glow, they are able to receive their Kai Ni  The same thing happened to Hiryuu, Souryuu and Ryuujou a few years back, when they received their Kai Ni. Seems like Suzuya and Kumano are going to receive their Kai Ni soon.

"Akashi! I can't do this on my own!" (Yuubari)

"I need to go now. Keep me posted if you receive any blueprints." (Akashi)

"Akashi!" (Yuubari)

"Alright, I'm coming!" (Akashi)

Akashi went behind the curtain to continue her work. I look at Suzuya's and Kumano's measurements. Oh. Seems like Kumano's bust grew by 0.01mm. How the heck did they get such accurate measurements?

On a serious note, I better prepare a training program and sortie the both of them more frequently to gain the necessary experience and strength for their Kai Ni.