Chapter 86: The Sun Priestess

Fuuu~ It's freezing... It was warmer yesterday. Zuihou must be enjoying the tropical climate of Rabaul.

In this freezing temperatures, the remaining shipgirls are hiding in the warmth of their rooms. I cancelled the patrol duties and expeditions for the day. Yesterday, STF 1 begin the mission and engaged the Abyssal Sun Princess but didn't managed to force it underwater despite a prolonged battle. Warpsite, Myoukou, Zara and Kitakami were heavily damaged in that battle. The others suffered moderate damages. Thankfully, everyone is manged to return to the Forward Base alive.

Since STF 2 is being sortied today, I will be supporting Aimi as she commands the fleet. Originally, Ryuujou was part of the main fleet. With her coming back to base to collect the planes, Suzuya will be filling in for her.

I walked briskly through the corridor to the Command Centre. Isn't the heater turned on? How is it still so cold? Oh. That's why...

Someone left the window open...

I shut the window and made my way to the Command Centre. The door was unlocked. That means someone beat me to it.

"It's already past 9 o'clock, we are late." (Kumano)

"It will be alright. Aimi will be late as well."

That girl has the tendency to that.

"Goodness. You shouldn't follow the behaviour of others." (Kumano)

Today, Kumano is my secretary ship. She is the only Aviation Cruiser left behind. Her sisters are participating in the operation as either part of the main fleet or as a substitute.

I switched on the console and connect the radio. As expected, Aimi hasn't begin yet. If she did, the monitor would be showing the girls preparing for launch.

"Told ya."

"Muuu~" (Kumano)

The self-proclaimed lady puffed her cheeks.

"Sorry! I'm here. I'm here." (Aimi)

The monitor flickered to life and showed a live feed of STF 2 on standby at the launch pad.

"Looks like someone had a goodnight's sleep." (Nelson)

"Ahaha. Sorry. I forgot to charge my phone and it died during the night." (Aimi)

"I feel you. I hate that, especially when you need to wake up early the next day for something important."

"Sound like you are experienced." (Suzuya)

"Two words. University exams."

Since then, I made sure my phone is at least 70% charged before going to bed. Thankfully, I barely made it to the test centre on time that fateful morning.

"Oh, right. Kumano~ You watching~?" (Suzuya)

"Geez! Next time, it's my turn." (Kumano)

"Heeheehee." (Suzuya)

"Let's sortie together, Bismarck-neesama!" (Prinz Eugen)

"I'll show you how I fight!" (Bismarck)

"Ugh... Why is a child like you participating in this?" (Atlanta)

"Don't call me a chiiild!" (Akatsuki)

"Let's show them a nightmare, Atlanta!" (Yuudachi)

"H-hi. Nightmare, you're still going "poi, poi" today too. Well, that's fine. Whew." (Atlanta)

"You are still nervous around those two." (Aimi)

"Poi!" (Yuudachi)

"Eek! Please don't hug me all of sudden!" (Atlanta)