Chapter 49: The Submarine Girl

The shadowy figure snaked her way through the obstacles and reached the other end of the pool. In the barely illuminated space, I can see her kick off the wall and repeat the same obstacle course again, but in reverse. As soon she touched the wall, a buzzer sounded off and the floodlights turned on. A timer with the numbers 4:34 flashed on the clock. Gripping the edge, she pushed herself out of the water.

Water droplets dripped from her streamlined upper body. Without her swimsuit, the contrasting skin tones between her brown lean arms and pearly white breasts were even more obvious. It's actually charming in a way.

Wait...

"Eh?"

"Hm?" (Shioi)

Shioi turned in my direction and stared at me. I can see another colour slowly form on her face.

Ah. Crap.

"Kyaaaa!" (Shioi)

Shioi quickly fell back into the water. I hurriedly turned around, with my back facing away from her.

"S-sorry! I didn't know you were naked!"

I should have known better! I have caught her skinny dipping in the ocean at night a few times before. Most of the time, I didn't stay and watch. Most of the time, I would just walk away and pretend I didn't see anything. I did tell her off once or twice before.

"A-a-admiral?! What are you doing here?!" (Shioi)

"I was notified that the training pool was operating at this timing. Of course I would come and investigate."

"Ugh. Why does the pool have this kind of feature" (Shioi)

"It's for me to make sure you girls aren't pushing yourselves too hard. I explained this before, didn't I?"

I had Akashi and Yuubari install a type of security feature on our training facilities. Whenever a training facility is being used after a specified time, I would be notified of it on my phone. Like I said, it's for me to make sure they don't push themselves too hard with their training.

"I would like to get out now. Don't you dare turn around, alright?" (Shioi)

"Alright alright. Why are you practicing so late at night anyway?"

"We are still in the midst of an operation. I want to prepare for a night battle." (Shioi)

I can hear the sound of water splashing, followed by wet footsteps behind me.

"Then why are you naked? I thought you would only go skinny dipping in the ocean."

"It's liberating. The feeling of the natural air and water gliding against your skin. It's something a bath can't replicate." (Shioi)

I can hear the sound of something elastic smacking against skin.

"That doesn't really explain why you are doing the Evasion Course in the nude. All done?"

"Yeah. You can turn around now." (Shioi)

I stood up and turned to face her,

"Here."

I tossed the bottle of Ramune I was holding towards her. Shioi caught it before it crashed onto the floor.

"Woah. Hey! That was dangerous." (Shioi)

"You always manage to catch it."

This has sort of been our little tradition. No matter the season, whenever I see her swimming, I will always buy her a bottle of ramune. I don't even remember when or how it began.

Shioi popped the bottle open by smacking the marble down and enjoyed her drink.

"Pwaah! Thank you, Admiral." (Shioi)

"Your welcome. You managed to be your personal best by a second."

"Maybe it's because my turning was too wide." (Shioi)

"They might be props but still sting a little. Especially when you a butt-naked."

"Drop it already! You pervert!" (Shioi)

"I'm not the nudist here."

Shioi kicked me as I walked to the console and switched off the training module. The two of us left the training pool.

"Even though it's September, it's still so warm."

"Can I sleep with you tonight?" (Shioi)

Hmm... I doubt anyone would enter my bed tonight. Even if Shigure would to do a last-minute visit, there is still space.

"Sure. Just make sure to wear something."

"Yay! I will go get my pajamas." (Shioi)

Shioi skipped away. I went back to my office. Yep. The blue occupied tag isn't on the door. I checked my bedroom. Empty.

Let's wait for Shioi. I took out my phone an surfed the net for some interesting news. 

Another Chinese satellite was destroyed mid-launch after two Aircraft Carrier Wo-class wandered too close to the coastal waters of Wenchang. Multiple fatalities amidst the ensuing air raid. Damn. Shouldn't they ought to learn by now never to use that launch site? This is the fourth time.

Tensions rise between North and South Korea as bullets were exchanged after a disgruntled South Korean shot at a North Korean guard post. No casualties were reported. So, the usual, I guess.

There isn't anything interesting at all...

There was a knock on my door. That must be Shioi.

I opened the office door and Shioi was there, still in her swimsuit.

"Can I use your shower?" (Shioi)

"Go ahead."

The submarine girl disappeared behind my bathroom door. I stopped surfing the net and watched some Y*ut*be videos. There are so many Vtuber clips and idol shows nowadays.

The pitter-patter of the shower stopped and Shioi came into my bedroom with a towel over her neck. Her hair is still wet.

"Dry your hair properly."

I took the towel off her neck dried her hair.

"Aha~" (Shioi)

Shioi's sleepwear is exceptionally light. Her sleepwear is a frilled, yellow camisole and dangerously short orange shorts. When it's winter, she adds on a pair of yellow socks and a yellow-white striped long-sleeved jacket. Most of the time, she doesn't wear anything to sleep, even when she is sleeping next to me.

Once her hair is dried, I tossed the towel into a little basket. I tucked the submarine girl in,

"I'm turning off the lights."

"Okay~" (Shioi)

As soon as the lights were off and I'm under the blanket, I felt her snuggling close to me.

"What are you doing?"

"Pet me." (Shioi)

"Alright."

I pet Shioi's head.

"Ehehe~ It's been a long time." (Shioi)

"That's right. When was the last time you had me pamper you?"

"I don't even know. But I'm glad I can spend some time with you." (Shioi)

I'm not too sure how to respond to that...

"I want to participate in the operation soon."

"I will check with Yokosuka on their progress. Yesterday, they reported that the Last Dance has started."

"So... Soon... I can't... wait." (Shioi)

She is already asleep? That was fast. Maybe she is exhausted from her late night practice.

"Good night, Shioi."

------------------------------------------------------

The following day, the order to begin Phase 2.5B was issued.