Chapter 4: Nightmares?

Finally done with all the paperwork I had for the day!. Most of them were just acknowledging to reports and future plans. There is even an investigation report on the the Western Area. HQ has issued a Code Yellow and deemed the Western Area as dangerous and off-limits to all fleets from every naval district until further notice. According to the report, scouting fleets sortied into that area have recorded and reported ongoing skirmishes between multiple unknown groups in that area. There are Abyssals, shipgirls that were 'never before seen' and black warships that lasted longer against the Abyssal than the ones we know and use futilely. Alternate routes have been established for any expeditions taking place in that area but who knows when it will be discovered by the unknown groups.

"Just when I thought the war with the Abyssals was hard enough. Now we may have to fight an unknown group of enemies who can deal heavy damage to our fleet instantly and stand their own against those creatures."

"They only managed to do that by catching us off-guard. It might be different if we were more prepared." (Ooyodo)

"That's not really an excuse, but I will take it. It's not just one fleet that can do that. There are multiple groups of them. If only they can help us get rid of the Abyssals while wiping each other out then that would be great."

"Ahaha. That's a bit of a long stretch." (Ooyodo)

"I know, right?"

"All done?" (Ooyodo)

"Yep."

I stamped and sign on the line at the back of the page,

"Just fax this resource report over to HQ and you can be dismissed for the day."

I pass the report over to Ooyodo.

"Thank you for your hard work. I'll take my leave now." (Ooyodo)

"Good work and good night."

It's night time now. Apart from the lights emitting from the hallways and the port, darkness has enveloped the entire Naval District. Night is when most shipgirls feel uneasy. This little behavioral trait of theirs probably stemmed from the fact that ships are most vulnerable in the dark. Visual is extremely important for them. Well, it's important to humans as well. Both species share many common biological traits, except one is a tougher than the other. I stretched to release whatever tension left in my body,

"Time for bed. Wonder which girl will sneak into my bed this time."

While I'm their Admiral, I'm also their caretaker, their confidant, their parent. Someone they can trust to share their worries and open up to. I created a system where they are invited to share their worries with me, or if they need accompany at night, they can use my bed. I won't chase them out. No, it's nothing sexual. It's like a child who is scared of the dark and wants to be in the warm presence of their parents. Something like that. Since then, I would have a girl sleeping calmly with me on an almost daily basis. I can't be on the frontlines with them, but at least I can do something to ease their pain.

Ever since I took over from the previous Admiral 6 years ago, I spent almost a year undoing whatever that sleazebag has done to them. Back then, everyday, they will come back injured and bloodied, only to have a bucket of weird green water splashed onto them and sent out again. Some girls died but nobody batted an eye. Moral was at a all time low as they were treated like slaves for 2 years since we enlisted them.

"They are just weapons. A bunch of scrap metal that live to be used in this war. Send them out, make them fight, and you will get paid. You don't even need to do a damn thing. Easy job, isn't it? Am I right, Lieutenant Commander Keita? Just sit back and enjoy." (??????)