Good enough

The birthday is a lot of fun. Daniel just fits in with my family and he's great with Pixie and Mason. Mason is wearing the t-shirt I brought him. It's a Mercedes team shirt, signed by Lewis and George. It's way too big, but he loves it, so I expect him to sleep in it as well.
There's more guests now, but everybody gets used to the fact Daniel is here really quick. It helps that he's just a down to earth guy and he gets along with everybody.

I'm helping Abby in the kitchen and we are looking outside where Daniel is playing catch with Mason.
"He's going to be a great father someday." Abby says and I nod.
"Yeah I was hoping somewhere beginning next year, but we'll have to wait a bit."
"Do you know that the reason Pixie and Mason are 5 years apart is that I had a couple of miscarriages in between them." Abby admits and I turn around to face her.
"Wait what? You never told me."

"I know. I felt ashamed. But I know now I shouldn't. The fact that you and Daniel were so open about yours made it easier for women to talk about. You might not realize it, but you actually have an influence now. Being with Daniel has made you a bit of a public figure and so if you talk about these things. It makes it easier for other people as well." She smiles at me and I think about it.

"I never realized that. I didn't see myself as someone who could have influence on anybody. But I'm glad if it has had a positive impact." 
Suddenly we hear some little girl voices arguing outside and I see Daniel looking a bit desperate towards us.
"I'll see what's going on." I make my way outside where Pixie and some of her friends are yelling at each other.
"Ladies what's this? It's a party why are you fighting?"

"Well I told them that you are a better singer than most Disney Princesses, but they called me a liar." Pixie says with tears in her eyes.
"Oh well calling anybody a liar isn't very nice. But Pixie, Disney Princesses are really good singers. I don't know if I'm that good." I try to patch up things.
"I think you are." Daniel joins the conversation. "I have to agree with Pixie."
I shake my head, "you are biased."
I squat next to Pixie, "look not everybody will have the same opinion about this and that's fine. But it's not fun to argue about it. Especially not on your birthday."

"But we can prove it. Just sing for us, so then they can hear it themselves." Pixie tries.
"Oh I don't know Pix."
"Yeah sing something!" Suddenly 3 other girls are joining Pixie, trying to convince me to sing.
"Yeah Sky, sing something!" Daniel stands behind the girls to help them.
"But..I. Really?" They all nod intensely and I sigh.
"Fine, what do you want me to sing?"

"Please do our song aunt Sky. The one from the Little Mermaid." I know exactly the one Pixie is talking about. I've watched the Little Mermaid with her so often and we always sing that one together.
"Ok but you know the drill. I can't do that alone ok?" Pixie nods and she runs inside to get her little speaker.
I find the karaoke version of the song and when Pixie comes back we connect the speaker to my phone.
"Ready Pix?" I ask and she nods so we put it on.

It's really nice doing this with her again. It's been too long and I know she won't want to do this anymore when she gets even older.
When the song is almost finished pretty much everybody came to watch and listen to us in the backyard. We are dancing around and singing together.
The gate opens and I see my parents come in.
My dad has a smile on his face, but my mom sure doesn't.
Pixie and I finish our little show and bow for our spectators.
"This was fun! It's been so long aunt Sky!" Pixie says when she gives me a warm hug.