Adjusting

During the night we wake up every couple of hours by our little girl wanting a feed. And also just to admire what we created.
Daniel is wonderful, he changes her nappies and burps her after she has had enough.
She doesn't drink much yet, but her stomach is still so tiny, not much fits in there.
I've been reading about breast feeding and I know my production will adjust to her demand, so right now I won't produce much, but as she will ask for more, my body will produce more.
How amazing is that.

Somewhere during the night I have to go to the toilet and that scares the crap out of me. Only a few hours ago a baby came out of there and now I have to pee. Again Daniel has been reading about this and he brings in a bottle of water to poor over myself as I go. It actually helps and the burning feeling I was afraid off is actually not so bad with the water.
"You truly are my hero you know that? I don't know how you do it, but they way you are with Phoenix, she's only 7 hours old, but you handle her as if you already have a couple of kids."

He laughs, "well I don't. As far as I know. But it just feels natural with her. She's my girl, I would do anything for her. And for you as well. If you would ask me to give up racing right now I would."
I cup his face with my hands, "I won't ask you that. If all goes well we are going to travel with you in a couple of weeks."
I do prefer to stay in our own little bubble for a bit, but I know that I will want Daniel and Phoenix to be together as much as possible.

We get to sleep again, because hey when baby sleeps, we sleep.
But when I wake the next morning I feel a bit disorientated. I haven't heard Phoenix, but when I look in the cot next to me it's empty. I shoot up, wincing as that really hurts my stomach and my private parts.
Daniel is also not in bed anymore and now I can hear his soft voice in the living room.
I get out of bed carefully and quietly walk to see what he's doing.

As I look around the corner into the bedroom I get smacked in the face with the most beautiful sight ever. Daniel is standing there in his boxers, holding Phoenix against his chest as he is talking to her and rocking her.
I can't really tell what he is saying, but this vision I want to be able to see always. So I quickly take a picture as I turn into mush watching him with his little princess.

"I know you are there

"I know you are there. You can stop staring." I hear him say softly.
"I was just enjoying the view, how long have you been up with her?"
He checks the clock. "About 30 minutes, she was a bit fussy, so I changed her. She doesn't seem to be hungry so I decided to go in here to let you sleep a bit."
I walk over to the pair and I place my hand on the soft hairs that are covering our girls head.

"She really has your hair I think. At least the color right now is yours. If she has your curls we will have to wait and see."
It's as if she is triggered by my voice, because suddenly she starts to rub her little face against Daniels chest looking for a nipple.
"You won't be able to get anything out of me sweetie, but here's mommy, she can sort you out."
He hands me our daughter and I sit on the couch, very carefully as I'm pretty sore down under, I open my nursing bra and she latches on perfectly.