Make her proud

The next day Grace and Joe come over. They had arrived yesterday evening and stayed over at Michaels.
I felt a bit bad that they were so close and couldn't come over. But Daniel and I were really tired and we don't want to have too many people over in one day for Phoenix either.
The night went pretty good again. She wakes up about every 2 to 3 hours for a feed and afterwards she falls asleep pretty easily.
I know this is the life of a newborn, you sleep, eat, fill your diaper and cuddle with mom and dad.

We are planning to give her her first bath this afternoon, so we are both pretty excited with that. I've done it before with Pixie and Mason, but it does feel different with your own baby. Especially when you are the parents who are supposed to know what they're doing. With Pixie and Mason I had Abby and Damian to guide me through.

Grace and Joe come over around 10 in the morning, Phoenix has just woken up and she's quite alert.
As soon as they walk in Grace has tears in her eyes, she comes up to me for a hug as Daniel is holding Phoenix.
"Oh Skylar, we are so happy for you. A little girl and she is a beauty. How are you feeling? Are you able to sleep? Don't forget to rest."

She's over the moon excited and I can't blame her. They have two grandkids and they worship the ground they walk on, but this is Daniels baby and he has been single for quite some time before he met me, so they were a bit worried he might never get the family he always dreamed about. But he has now, which makes them extremely happy. Joe is just better at hiding it.
"I'm great Grace, she's wonderful and yes I rest and sleep. Don't worry about me. Go meet your granddaughter."

After giving me a kiss on the cheek she makes her way to Daniel.
She seems almost nervous to touch her, but eventually she strokes Phoenix's cheek softly, crying in the mean time.
"Oh Daniel look at her. She's so small. And look at you being a father. It suits you." She gives him a kiss while Joe pulls me in his arms for his big bear hug.
"Motherhood looks good on you. We are so incredibly proud of you."

His words make my eyes water, Daniels parents have showed me more love in the time we've known each other than my mother ever did. And my dad as well while he was still with my mom. He's definitely changing now, but it will never be like Daniel and his parents.
"Thanks Joe, but it wasn't just me, Daniel has been amazing. I mean who would have thought that he would help deliver his own daughter?"

"I'm not surprised actually. He doesn't panic quickly and you needed him so he was there for you." Joe says and I can only agree.
I see Daniel put Phoenix in her grandmothers arms. Grace is holding her like she's the most precious being in the world. And for us she is.
Eventually Grace hands her over to Joe, but I can tell she didn't really want to.
He is the proudest grandfather and Phoenix quickly falls asleep in his arms. I guess he kinda radiates the same energy as Daniel with her.

Daniel can be pretty hyper, but with his girl he's so calm and relaxed. And so is Joe, he just cradles her and in his strong arms she practically disappears.
Once she wakes up she's hungry so I feed her and then we get her ready for her bath.
In the mean time Grace and Joe decide to go to pick up lunch for the 4 of us which is really nice. They come back with some amazing Italian food which is really good after eating mostly toast.
We really have to start cooking again starting tomorrow, because Daniel will have to eat properly to keep fit and strong.

He also has to go back to working out, but I'll talk to him about that tomorrow. It will be a struggle getting him out to do what he has to do. I'm sure he doesn't want to leave his girls behind. But the reality is Thursday he has to leave for Spain. So in 2 days he will have to go. I think it will be hard, but I will be busy with Phoenix and he will be busy with work, so I'm sure time will pass by faster then ever for me at least. But I'm not the one having to leave our daughter behind.