Chapter 15-Lurking Danger

A disbelieving silence momentarily passes over the group as they allow my words to take their toll "that's why we need to save him, without me there to stop them, they'll do whatever it takes to get the Cure, which will lead to torturing him without a second thought" I avow, hoping my words were enough to convince Vince on altering his conclusion, but with a rueful glance directed towards me, the answer's implied "I'm sorry, Rose, we cannot risk it, I will not", I exhale as disbelief washes over my features, tears spring into my orbs, threatening to flow. I grumble vexedly and stomp out from the room, sending daggers towards the man who's preventing me from rescuing my friend, but as I begin to leave the room, a faint voice echoes from behind me, stopping me in my tracks, I inquisitively whirl my head towards the source of the sound, the same device Barkley obtained when WICKED located us with Jorge and Brenda is settled on a table, tangled in wires and connected to a larger device to increase the volume of what's being spoken "giving a search in the perimeter, Sector A is complete, moving on to Sector B". On cue, the distinct propellers of a Berg enter the space, their increasing volume only worsening our fear, my heart sputters from fear even as I don't fully understand the words spoken, standing taller, with a pale face, Thomas speaks "shi-", "language" Newt warns flatly, glaring at the boy, I'm too fearful to speak, my lips clamp down upon each other as the wind begins to roar from the minacious helicopter approaching us "cut the lights!" Thomas orders, rushing towards the door and out of the room with Vince following close behind, everyone scatters as the lights deactivate. The gentle, groaning hum of the electricity waning enters my ears as Newt grasps onto my arm and yanks me away from the open, exposed room, he staggers from his limp as he forces his body to move quickly in fear of being spotted, I follow close behind him as he manuvers me around the discarded objects that litter the floor from the panic, he ducks under a blanket and gently ushers me inside, the room's bathed in light, only allowing me to glance around momentarily before darkness engulfs the room, I squeak antsily when a hand obtains my own. But I ease when the familiar warmth of the hand engulfs my own, my orbs are swift to adjust as I discern the silhouettes of object around the room, their edges traced delicately by the pale moonlight, the hand begins to tug my own as Newt leads me further away from the entrance of the room, entrusting him as he manuvers easily around the space, I attempt to not produce any noise, the soft groan of furniture moving enters my ears "in here, Love", with a mindful hand placed upon the small of my back, I'm led inside a space. Unable to gaze a few inches in front of me I extend my arms out so that I wouldn't bump into anything, the squeal of the heavy furniture scraping against the floor is loud in the otherwise silent space, crawling in beside me, Newt breathes heavily, settling in alongside my right side "Newt, where are we?" I probe warily "inside the crawlspace beside my room, found it once by accident by tumbling in here, had to use my entire dresser to cover up the hole since it was so big, if WICKED lands, they'll never find us here, Love" he informs me. Squeezing my hand, although I'm uncertain if it were for reassurance or if it's a way of him expressing his fear to the possibility of WICKED locating our hideout, the space is so compact that it's impossible to move without nudging him, the only sound in the space is our soft breathing "what's going on out there?" I query fearfully "turn around, we're on the side of the ship right now, and there are cracks in the walls, we should be able to see what's happening from here", I twist my body around, manuvering around Newt so that I wouldn't harm him. Once I settle as comfortably as I'm granted, which included me depositing all my weight onto the tucked knees beneath me, Newt mimicks my actions, kneeling down upon his good leg so that his other would be sprawled out comfortably behind him, the walls of the space appear to cave in as I peek through a crack big enough for me to witness what's occuring outside, the eerie silence that cloaks the ship sends a fearful shiver down my spine, hopefully the others are as safe as we are, I hope, in perfect timing, a massive Berg appears. The massive searchlight beams down upon the ship, illuminating the vulnerable spaces, crawling along the side of the ship, the light searches for any sign of us, my shoulders tense as the beam of bright light lingers momentarily upon the side of the ship where me and Newt are located, I scoot back slightly upon instinct, my fists curl, moistening from my nervous sweating, but they relax as the light continues away from the ship, gliding along the beach, the Berg continues South, exchanging a worried glance with Newt, the Berg shrinks until it disappears in the horizon. Momentary silence passes over the entire ship, only then do I notice how close Newt is to my body, his warm breath tickles the nape of my neck, I restrain a shiver as I note a small nudge from his protruding gender teasing my lower back, warmth spreads throughout my entire face as the noise of the slicing propellers grow too faint to discern, the lights activate, illuminating every darkened corner, the beach is bathed in golden artificial light, glowing jovially, the gentle hum of activity outside our room slithers inside the small space, celebrating our alertness to eluding capture.