Chapter 39-Healing Old Wounds

As soon as the words escape me, I curse myself for ever speaking them "what do you mean, 'you wish you had more time'?" Gally questions me suspiciously, his slots narrowing towards me, wishing to uncover whatever it was I was concealing, my mind whirls with a series of answers, none of them suitable, nor truthful "you know, I just wish we had more time to appreciate each other's prescence, most of our bloody relationship is the sum of us rescuing, comforting or protecting each other, and don't get me started on how many times I almost lost her and vice versa". He remains silent, lingering his suspicious gaze upon me, I remain still, restrain myself from shifting uncomfortably in my seat "you care for her, don't you", I'm certain this was a statement "with every fiber and bone in my body, I would glady die for her, but not just for the reason that I would protect her life above my own, but because I'm for certain I won't be able to survive watching her body slump lifelessly in my arms and for her eyes to lose that beautiful twinkle of life I deeply adore, I won't, not again". Nodding his head in understanding, he remains silent "when are you gonna tell her?" He questions me, I sigh, somehow disappointed I couldn't conceal anything from him, loathing the fact he knew me too well "it's physically impossible" I reply dejectedly, he sighs heavily, I notice his hand quaking slightly "she's never gonna forgive you, I hope you know that" he notifies me "oh, I'm well aware, but I'd rather make it to Minho in time and spend the rest of my life apologizing in any shape or form than have her bloody look at me like it may be the last". "Minho's the Cure", I nod mutely, he sighs heavily, I know well the situation must be mercilessly loading itself upon his weakening shoulders "that's why you want to get to him so badly, not only to save him, but because you're-", "don't" I warn him sternly, he silences himself, we remain silent for a brief moment, the atmosphere becomes unbearably tense as we grow oddly aware of each other's uneasiness "I hope you know there's not one day that goes by that I don't regret what I did to her" he speaks abruptly, my shocked gaze lands upon his frame. "I know, can't really hold a grudge against you, Mate, you were scared and you let that fear control you, just like anyone else who stayed behind" I dismiss his apology "yeah, but I just made living in the Glade harder than it had to be for her" he blames himself, the selfish and protective parts of me fights to entrap the flashes of her wounded body after Gally had beaten her, but forgiveness is so much stronger than hatred "she won't ever forgive me, I know that, I took the one person she probably cared for more than you". My chest pangs with grief at the subtle mention of the fallen boy, but even in my mourning for him, flickers of her crying over his lifeless body invade the memories of him, she still manages to reign over my every thought, "then why are you telling me these things?" I question him, it's my turn to gaze at him suspiciously "because you're the only person she'll listen to, or at least let your words enter that stubborn head of hers", I chuckle, shaking my head towards his words "oh, little do you know, Mate" I chuckle lightly. "You know, despite you beating, almost killing and emotionally wounding my only reason for existence, I forgive you, Gally" I confess towards him, his features morph into shock "and I mean it", a thankful smile pinches the rims of his lips "and despite what I display towards her, I never hated her" he states "I know", the room becomes silent once again, but this time the air doesn't suffocate our throats or annoy our nerves to unease, but rather calmly engulf around us in a comforting embrace, it resembles the easing detection of resolve, a gentle knock sounds, surprising us. Synchronously tucking our brows together, Gally rises from his placement and strolls towards the door, opening it to allow the person behind it inside, Tommy stands in the doorway, relaxed features becoming tense and hateful with the flick of a switch upon finding Gally inside the same room as my Rose, he remains silent towards him as he manuvers around the boy, rushing towards the table my Rose resides, remaining motionless "sorry, I had to come check on her" he explains towards me as he rushes towards her bedside, towering over her as his gaze flits about her features worriedly, barely able to restrain the hand rising towards her face from trembling "it's fine, I was just about to leave anyway" Gally speaks distantly. Clenching his jaw, Thomas doesn't speak towards him, but I certainly know he doesn't ignore him "I'm gonna to check on everyone, make sure they're not just laying around", "okay, see you later, Mate" I bid farewell "see you later", with that, he leaves the room, gently shutting the door behind him, allowing his entire body to relax fairly, Tommy's hand grazes my Rose's cheek, I take note of the tears that begin to collect around his rims. "Has she said anything?" He questions, his frantic, yet somehow collected, gaze gyrating towards me, I detect myself becoming distant at the sight of him with my Rose "nothing, I almost thought she was gone for a second, had it not been for the subtle breaths she's taking" I reply honestly, studying him from behind the curtain of strands that are my lashes, he slackens a bit to my information, but his gaze returns to her figure, as if silently praying she would awaken, I shift uncomfortably at the proximity their faces gradually gain "she's gonna be okay".