Chapter 73-The Infiltration Sequence

As we finally approach the back entrance, the two of us decelerate to a casual pace, composedly marching alongside other officers and Researchers in dismal coats as they enter or exit the building, as we stride through the glass doors, my heart sputters in its pace as I spot the scanners ahead, my stomach becomes a mangled mess of anxious knots, the six ivory scanners menacingly stick out about five feet of the slick, bleached flooring, and they are spaced out just enough for bodies to stride past, I realize with horror that there's no possible way to elude them. The chip removal better work, I pray hopefully as I dare not to release the air in my lungs, I glance towards Newt as he hesitates momentarily, halting in front of the scanners, he glances over his shoulder towards me, evidently just as worried, but as I stare towards Newt, I glimpse another guard in my peripherals, the tall, armed and masked figure tilts his head to the side at us suspiciously as he stands along the wall, orbs widening, heart pounding, I nudge Newt forward slightly, attempting to be casual whilst expressing to Newt that we must continue forward. Turning forward, Newt scans the crowd, appearing to notice the guard as well because he straightens himself to be taller, I almost reach out towards him as he swiftly strides through the scanners, never once wavering on his glare ahead, the viridescent lights of the contraptions illuminate, displaying his clearance, tensing up my shoulders and not allowing myself to breathe, I immediately follow behind Newt, marching through the colorless scanners, their lights illuminate verdant with a lighthearted chime to indicate my clearance as well, I mindfully release a heavy sigh of relief, my heart returning to its normal, rhythmic pace. Marching at a changeless pace, not sparing a second glance at the other guard, Newt and I stroll our way along the polished, unpigmented tile flooring of the main area of the facility, not diverting our attention from our heading before us as various Researchers and guards rush past, straightening myself to embody my disguise, I scan the wide room, desperately searching for any sign of the Betrayer and Gally, I almost falter when all I witness are smudged features of Researchers and masked officers, the searing stare of the officer from earlier hammers into my back, I almost shift. Suddenly, Newt nudges me with his elbow, and when I avert my attention towards him, he motions in the direction we are headed towards, following his gesture, I trail my sight to the Betrayer as she rigidly strides through the north doors, allowing her thumb to be scanned for identification upon entry, a wave of familiarity impacts me as I flicker my gaze about the stature of the guard strolling beside her, Gally holds the Betrayer's arm sternly and glances back over as he marches in our direction, he manages to redirect his attention ahead moments before he could collide into Newt and I. Gally freezes in his tracks, uncertain of our identity, the Betrayer's anxious orbs flicker between the two of us, also doubtful, Newt, silently glaring at the two in wariness, nods to our right before quickly gyrating and limping in that direction, briefly nodding towards Gally, I stroll after Newt, glancing over at the skeptical guard, relief slackens my tense frame as he finally diverts his attention away from us, precisely as our map indicated, Newt swiftly leads us to the eastern hallway, limping down the space at a brisk pace before veering off to the left. Newt then shoves open a steal door that steers us out into a refreshing, dimly illuminated area of the facility that expands into a vast concrete room, I follow after Newt as he ushers us along the long stretch of room, WICKED staff members passing us along the way, he then sharply veers off to the right, manuevering us into a steel staircase before hastefully rushing down the flight, gliding my hand along the railing, I attempt to stride down the steps as swiftly as possible, as we make our way to the basement level, we step into an area that resembles a garage. However, whilst the area ahead and to our right is completely vacant, there's a wall that's forged entirely out of glass, overlooking out into the grand entrance of the underground level that's populated primarily of WICKED guards, rushing behind Newt as we form a chain, I glimpse through the glass to spot vehicles navigating along the path on the opposite side, exiting the parking lot and swerving into the city, the siren and lights illuminate as it veers off onto the road, indicating another infected was caught, my stomach churns with apprehension for Frypan and Brenda. After releasing a silent prayer for them to remain undetected, I force my worrying thoughts to the back of my skull before they can have effect upon me, scanning my attention along the glass, I locate two, transparent sliding doors a few yards ahead of us, realizing that's our location of rendezvous with Thomas, synchronously, one particular WICKED guard in a ashen and raven uniform rushes towards our group's side from the opposite side of the window, confidently strutting alongside the four of us, allowing the glass to separate us until he can cross through the glass doors he's approaching. Mindfully adverting my gaze towards the guard, a sense of familiarity flutters within my chest, causing my lips to twist into a faint smile, that's Thomas all right, he sends me a confirming nod, familiarity isn't the only thing fluttering within my chest, Thomas, now assuming command, strides ahead of us and guides our group to another steel stairway at the opposite end of the garage area, we all rush quickly up the flights, ignoring three sections before approaching the second surface level, marching our way down another hall, as the corridor veers right at the end, a detection of adrenaline overwhelms my body.