Chapter 37-Broken, Yet Strong

Newt's Point Of View
Fear is a very powerful emotion that's often triggered by a perceived threat, it can make a person feel anxious, scared, or even panicky, fear is a survival mechanism that's hardwired into our brains, it's designed to help us avoid danger and protect us from harm, but sometimes fear can be irrational and unfounded, it can be triggered by things that aren't actually dangerous, such as a fear of heights or public speaking, and it can be so strong that it interferes with our ability to live normal, happy lives, I've known fear well throughout my unpredictable life. It's as sweet as blood and it's as light as air, it's as quiet as music and it's as cruel as a city, fear is black and it's red, it's a city, a city without walls and without time, and you haven't seen terror yet, fear is a dark presence on the edge of my vision, it's a spot of intimidation that lurks in the corner of my peripherals, I turn to stare at it directly, but when I do, it disappears, this kind of fear charges my entire being as in mere seconds my Rose collapses to the ground. Springing into action, I dive towards her, intercepting her head moments before it could impact the floor, panic settles in as I pillow her head, towering over her worrriedly, easily recognizing the painting of pain that contorts her peaceful features "oh no", the entire group surrounds her, confused and ridden with shock "what's going on with her?!" Gally exclaims "get her out of here" Lawrence growls in an appallingly innocent voice, his words are ignored by our group as we all struggle to equal our racing minds "why is she shaking like that?!" Thomas worries "get her out". Once again, Lawrence's crazed warning are ignored "do you have anywhere we can keep her?!" I question Gally "yes, but it's off limits" Gally replies "OFF LIMITS, MY ARSE! SHE'S BLOODY UNCONSCIOUS AND FREAKING HAVING A SEIZURE!" I yell lividly, taken aback by my explosive demeanor, Gally raises his hands in surrender "okay, fine, come with me", gently loading her fragile body into my arms, I rise from the floor, ignoring the infernal reminder of my past mistakes that stabs at my leg, determination overruling my other senses, as soon as I stand, Gally sprints towards the staircase, I follow. Clenching my teeth as my wounded leg already begins to fail me "YES! TAKE HER! SHE WILL BE OUR SALVATION!!", creasing my brows together at the man's raving, I allow his words to sink into my consciousness, but I leave them for a more appropriate time, as I climb the staircase, historical torment becomes new again, causing sweat to begin beading along my forehead and temple, constraining my body to nurture the adrenaline that appears to be paralyzing the otherwise agonizing ache in my leg, my heart begins to ache as I watch her gnaw on her lip, refusing to allow herself to scream. Flights of stairs begin to devour the remaining strength I obtain, she groans as her chest heaves with movement, concealing her unspeakable torment "hold on, Love, almost there", I drive myself forward when I take note of her hand tightly gripping my shirt, finally at the second floor, Gally dashes down the hallway, turning to the right, I tail after him, almost forgetting the entire group is right behind me, skidding to a halt, Gally fumbles to unlock the door as he clumsily places his finger on a strange device along the side of the door. It beeps, a flash of green entering my sight as I also skid to a stop alongside him, he turns the knob and swings open the door, I don't hesitate as I barge inside the room, blinking furiously when Gally turns on the light, illuminating the space, I whirl around the space, searching for a place to settle down my Rose "set her down here" Gally instructs, throwing some unimportant objects onto the floor, unobstructing a wooden table before me as the rest of the group file inside the room, all huffing from the laborous climb, I stroll over to the table. Carefully, I allow her lifeless body to slip from my hold, reclining her on top of the table, ensuring that she was comfortable in her place, our huffs are the sole sound invading the space, we're all too winded from the unpredictable event "she's gonna be okay, right?" Brenda questions, no one answers, making the atmosphere become uneasy and menacing "alright, everyone back downstairs, we will talk about who's going with me later, for now, let's wait for Rose to wake up", all stare at him confusedly "I don't want her hating me more because I let you guys leave without her". It's been almost an hour, a full hour of watching and waiting, waiting and hoping, hoping and wishing, pacing back and forth of the room, I run my hands through my hair for the millionth time, unable to prevent the wild and absurd thoughts that overwhelm my stern rationality, my nerves are alive with unease, prompting my body to move uncontrollably, at first I was unable to leave her side when she began to release her painfilled cries, now I find it a challenge to remain still, with no means to occupy myself and distract my rapid thoughts. After grunting out tiresomely, I plop myself down on one of the wooden chairs that occupy the space, rubbing my lids frustratedly as I struggle to remain collected, but a soft knock snaps me out of my depressing sulk, I lift my head and gyrate it towards the door in a flash, unsure of who resides behind it "come in", I curse the crack that's evident in my tone, with my invite, the knob turns and the door opens, shocked and robbed of my speech, Gally strolls in, soundlessly closing the door behind him "mind if I sit?".