Chapter 75-Undoubtedly Near

Stifled whisps of air escape the group as we scale four flights of stairs, despite not exhailing laborously like the rest of them, my body gradually begins to inflame with fatigue and soreness, as I devise to ascend the fifth floor, I glance over the railing, noticing the gradually regressing distance between Newt and the rest of us, now one and a half flights behind us, instantly, I remain stagnant, patiently waiting for him to gain progress, frowning as I realize his limp must be causing this to be challenging, not to mention that shucking virus on top of that. "Keep going, Love" he heaves, as he arduously limps up the steps, revealing his exhausted and winded state, pursing my lips together, I dismiss his words "where you go, I go, remember?" I retaliate, scaling back down the flights to collide in the center, ignoring his protest, I gently grasp his arm and scale alongside him at his own pace, allowing him to depend upon me for strength "wait! Wait!" Gally exclaims towards Thomas, appearing to be two flights up now "I can use this for Lawrence", there's a sharp, squeaky blare that resembles a steel door being forced open. Faint threats of Gally ordering the Betrayer to remain seated where he can guard her, Thomas's voice follows as he converses quickly through his communicator to consult with Frypan and Brenda on the progress of their routes "you really don't have to wait for me, Love" Newt mumbles as we tread up the following flight "Newt, you have a bad leg, you're undoubtedly sick and you're my boyfriend, I'm gonna help you whether you approve of it or not", he chuckles breathlessly, his crisp breath whisping against the heated skin of my neck, sending a delicious shiver down my spine. After an entire minute of assisting Newt up the stairs, we finally rendezvous with the others in perfect timing to find Thomas preparing his Launcher and scaling up the next flights to check for guards, Gally, now unmasked, fumbles around with something in his possession along the concrete wall, it appears to be a fuse box, although I gather my brows together, uncertain why he would have that, my features become rigid as we approach the top of the flight, not sparing a glance at the Betrayer as she powerlessly frowns at Gally with her arms folded on her lap. As I guide Newt to the bottom of the next flight, he uncontrollably becomes ensnared in another coughing fit, except this one is undoubtedly worse, he inmediately shoves my hands off of his left arm, leaning over the side rails of the stairs as he swiftly exposes his face by removing his mask, coughing violently, gritting my teeth together, I watch as the Betrayer's features expose her concern as she stares at Newt's appearance, lips parting slightly as he sputters out unnatural coughs, as his coughing alleviates for a brief moment, Newt shifts his attention towards the Betrayer, noticing her suspicious gaze. This causes his to turn his back towards her, leaning his back against the railing, grimacing as he restrains the further coughs clawing at his throat, revealing his features towards me, my gaze widens as I flit my orbs around his face, the breath in my lungs becomes hitched in the back of my throat as I realize how extremely pale he's become, noticing the noticeable raven circles underneath his orbs, his fluffy strands of hair have begun to plaster against his forehead with his sweat, tucking my brows together in concern, I claim his hand, squeezing it. Uncertain if the gesture were for his comfort or for my own, I become unsettled as I shift my gaze to the left side of his jaw, heart sputtering in its pace as I recognize the glimpse of faint, violet veins emerging out from under the thick neck cover of his uniform "Newt?", this barely audible whisper escapes my lips inadvertently, I swiftly abandon my mask, releasing my coil around Newt's hand as I remove it from my head, my braid cascading down my back as I lock my mask securely in my right hand as my left caresses the side of his face. Concern intensifying at the boiling surface temperature of his cheek, clearing his throat and sputtering a few more coughs, Newt shakes his head dismissively, gradually reobtaining his breath through soft wheezes "I'm fine, I'm fine...", "no, you're not" I protest, disbelieving his words, I gently shift his cheek so that we can connect visually "Newt, you're getting worse", I lower my tone for only him to discern, staring at me with his massive, brown orbs, the whites a shade of blush "I'm going to be alright, Love" he whispers, I frown as an intense ache invades my chest. I glance towards Gally, restraining myself to reject any passage of tears, but I watch as his brows tuck as my lip begins to tremble with oncoming wails of agony, although he's staring at me with an unreadable expression, his orbs reveal his distress "we're just about there, only a few more flights up and we'll be with Minho, and we'll get a hold of the Serum" he reassures me, nodding uncertainly, I redirect my attention to Newt, who clenches his jaw tauntly as he levels his breathing "are you going to be able to make it up these stairs?". Although he's obviously attempting to restrain any further coughs, squeezing his orbs shut as he nods eagerly "yeah... Yeah, I'll be fine", I frown towards him "that's the biggest peice of klunk I have ever heard, if you're going to lie to me, Newt, at least make it convincing", he chuckles, his straining muscles relaxing fairly, he opens his orbs to connect with my gaze once again "never could hide anything from you, Love" he mumbles, straightening himself with a painfilled grimace "I'll be fine" he repeats, more confidence and vigor pervading his words "good that, because we need to get going".