Chapter 69-Respect The Wicked

Delicate, incoherent curses become whisps of wind, lost within the symphony of the city, ignored as the forms of bodies become uncertain in the bustle of scheduled normalcy, unintentionally providing a concealment for us, the irritated mumbles escape my lips heedfully, gentle to prevent any unwanted attention "love, what's the matter?" Newt questions, removing his vigilant gaze from the ignorant crowd before us "it's my shucking hair, I can't fit it inside the helmet, it's too long" I complain towards him, my hands fumbling with the luscious locks of my hair, I finally slump in defeat, exhaling exasperatedly, Newt chuckles. Manuevering towards me with mindful steps "the one time I wish it was short" I snap, directing my irritation to no one in particular, chuckling once more to my state, Newt stands before me, gaze caring and enamored "I think I can help with that" he informs me, at my incredulous stare, he motions for my hair "may I?" He requests, unhesitantly, I twirl away from him, staring at the crevices of the wall in front of me, hesitating for a moment, Newt begins by brushing the strands of my hair away from my vision, calloused hands becoming effortlessly tender. I close my orbs, allowing myself to become ensnared by the way he gingerly slithers his hands within my locks, a content smile blossoms on my lips as he continues by mindfully tugging on my hair, I restrain a shiver of delight every time he accidentally brushes my back, almost descending into blissful madness because of the movements of his hands, too soon he finishes, I almost frown and complain for him to continue frolicking in my hair "all done, Love", I turn back towards him and bring the mass of my hair forward, admiring the perfect braid he created. "It's beautiful, Newt" I awe, marvelling the craft of the braid "I love it", I flash him a thankful and bright smile, I falter fairly when I notice the distant glaze over his orbs "I didn't know I could do that", sharing a momentary mournful exchange, silence fills the space we reside in "then let's teach them a lesson for taking that from you" I encourage him, encasing my gloved hand around his, nodding slightly, he eventually links his gaze with my own, a gentle smile tickles the rims of his lips "I kinda like your hair in a braid". At this, I advert my gaze to the ground, chuckling bashfully "come on, we can't waste time", I tug him along with me, the heat in my face only worsens at his playful chuckle, understanding he flustered me, tucking my hair into the raven fabric of the mask, I allow the mask to slither over my head, concealing my features, swinging my Launcher by it's strap to my chest, embracing it securely, Newt strolls ahead of me, glancing around the corner of the alleyway beside our refuge, the azure lights of civilization trickling feebly into the alleyway we stand in. "Ready?" He questions, glancing back towards me "shuck yeah" I nod, gripping my weapon tautly, managing a smile with fermenting excitment, Newt hesitantly pulls his helmet over his head, I watch as his handsome features become obscured, lost underneath the armor, holding his Launcher tightly, Newt marches out into the traveling crowds on the street, following behind him swiftly, I match my pace with his, marching at his side, detecting pure adrenaline fueling within my veins, at long last, WICKED will fall tonight, I grin at the thought as we march our way down the first block, armed for war. An ocean of healthy people bustle before us, the frantic sound of shoes slap against the road, most facial expressions are concealed beneath surgical masks, an inadvertent shudder slices down my back at the sight, besides the certainty that the streets are thriving with civilians, the streets are silent, as if the inhabitants of the last remaining city are frightened to converse with each other, much too preoccupied by superstition, the people in front of us glance towards us from over their shoulder, they step aside, reverently parting ways onto the sidewalk, unobstructing a path for us, as if we deserve treatment of admiration. Tightening my grip on my Launcher, I glance towards Newt, despite his features being masked by his helmet, I lucidly glimpse the grim stare he directs towards me, I send a brief, but thankful nod towards the people ahead of us, striding through the unblocked path along the concrete sidewalk, as we vigilantly march our way to the end of the block, the crowds become more unbearable and restricting, although some do shift aside to allow us through, most don't glance our way, every individual striding tall and confident, as if on missions of their own. Hastening their steps to reach their destination and complete any unattended tasks before curfew, we approach the first road, our steps faltering to a stop at the edge of the sidewalk with a huddle of people, tolerantly waiting for the sign indicating when to cross to illuminate, the tension in my entire body skyrockets to an inexplicable level as the crowd squeezes around us, almost separating me and Newt from each other, a wave of vehicles bound past us in a bewildering blur, causing the slacking fabric of my uniform to snap in their vigorous wake "Mommy, is that you?". The sudden question startles be into reality, away from the streaking vehicles in front of me, I whirl my head around to those beside me, uncertain where the origin of the voice is located, that is until a gentle tug grips the fabric of my pants, almost startling me to the point I almost disrupt character, glancing downwards, I find a fearful girl, her features vibrant with youth and chocolate gaze wide with innocence, her chestnut locks are held back by a simple braid, although unbound strands flutter just above her brows, she tugs again, desperate "can you help me find my Mommy, please?".