Chapter 52-The Beauty Of A Broken Angel

The space becomes frighteningly empty, if you didn't know any better you'd assume it was never occupied to begin with, not a mere sound is to be heard, nothing but the rapid pound of my heart against my chest and the stifled whisps of panic, frozen from raw shock, my outer extremities are deemed useless, with my heart dropping towards my stomach in dread, I watch as Newt swiftly limps out of the room, silently rubbing his right arm, I barely notice Thomas's hand has settled upon the small of my back and that my stark white hands grip the hem of his shirt. Attempting to steady his breathing, Thomas glimpses towards the group before chasing after Newt, my body becomes frighteningly cold, causing me to cross my arms over my chest "now I'm noticing Newt's acting strange" Frypan mumbles worriedly towards me, Brenda's hands remain clasped over her mouth, genuinely concerned for the blonde boy, but upon resting my heed upon Gally, he tenses, unable to link with my gaze, I become suspicious "Gally, is there something you know about this?" I query, his heavy sigh only furthers my suspicion, without any further hesitation, I turn on my heel, striding towards the door. As I step into the main room, the pale sunlight spills down onto the floor from the roof door, assuming that's where the boys headed, I stroll into the sunlight and stand directly beneath the door, I jump with a huff, reaching for the edge of the opening, my fingers coil around the frigid concrete, and with a vigorous grunt through clenched teeth, I hoist myself up with all my upper body strength, I quietly scramble onto the roof, my feet dangling over the edge, I spot Newt sitting on the front end of the building. His legs dangle over the ledge with Thomas standing feet behind him, scrambling to my feet, I dust myself off and prudently stroll towards the two, an unnerved silence has enveloped them, I notice how deflated Newt appears, as if a war were brewing inside, with his ecstasy as the main casualty, Thomas is the first to notice me, Newt remains staring off into the distance, the golden halo of morning light gingerly caressing his features, unspoken beauty becomes him, appearing enchanting as the gentle breeze flutters around his locks, frolicking within the fluffy strands, momentarily enamored by him, I advance closer. Although his artistry is ruined by the deep frown weighing down the rims of his lips, sharing a brief glance with Thomas, I step closer to the edge, I maneuver to Newt's right side, invidiously settling down a few inches away from the ledge, not daring to glimpse down "sorry about that, back there", I shuffle closer, placing a hand upon his shoulder "it's okay, Newt", he glances towards me, tears accumulating within his peripherals "no it's not, Love, nothing's okay", creasing my brows towards him "I guess I can't hide this anymore", he rolls up his sleeve with a pained grimace. My breath is caught in the back of my throat as he reveals his forearm, but instead of the healthy glow of skin I am familiar with, I witness a gruesome sight, the Flare has a grip upon the one person I cannot live without, pale, bilious vines crawl their way upwards towards his heart like veins, rooting at the base of his wrist and slowly advancing, the offspring of anguish and demise sprawling out along his skin, I attempt to remain collected as my emotions become untamed with grief, I stifle a gasp, blinking rapidly. I miraculously manage a frail smile as I shove the uncontrollable sobs that threaten to escape away, noticing his miserable expression "hey, it's alright though, this doesn't matter, you're gonna be okay, I know it" I encourage him, understanding he depended upon me for strength, I have to remain resilient for him, a delicate smile tickles the edges of his lips, my heart flutters with pride, ecstatic I was able to still provide him gaiety even in the fatalistic of his moments "why didn't you tell us?" Thomas questions him gently, his voice appear closer than before "didn't think it would make any difference". I don't allow the words to have effect upon me "all I know is, WICKED must have put me in that Maze for a reason", he rubs the protruding veins along his forearm grimly "maybe it was literally just so they could tell the difference between Immunes like you or Rose and people like me", I swallow a rigid lump of sorrow collecting within my throat, it scratches along the torrid space roughly "you know, we can still fix this, Newt" Thomas speaks sanguinely "we can" I join him, placing a hand upon his infected skin. Shuddering mutely "maybe I can heal you with my ability, I can fix you up, good as new" I encourage him, already preparing for my ability to escape me, Newt places his hand upon my own, dithering me "no, I can't risk you getting sick because you wanted to help me" Newt sternly refuses "but maybe I will have more time than you, my ability would fight back against it, giving me more time to reach Minho for the Cure", the words spill out from my lips with haste, Newt shakes his head "I won't be able to live with myself, Love. I can't watch you die, I won't", I deflate, lowering my head at his stern tone "don't worry about me, Love", he squeezes my hand comfortingly, appreciating the effort "this is about Minho, he needs us, so if there's even the slightest chance that we can save him, that we can get him out of there, then we have to take that", he directs his attention towards Thomas, I follow his line of sight, noticing Thomas now crouched inches behind us, I also note the tears that are threatening to escape him as Newt delivers his concluding words "no matter the cost".

Author's info- No words. I'm just gonna cry in the corner. Anyone who wants to join me can. We can all cry together. And the name of the chapter! I can't.