Chapter 45-A Brush With Death

"GALLY!" I yell distraughtly, my orbs widen in alarm as my heart rate spikes, impelling my legs to hurtle through the tunnel "JUST KEEP GOING!" Gally screams "WHAT FUN! PLAYING CHICKEN WITH A TRAIN!" I spit hatefully "COME ON, NEWT! WE GOTTA GO!", I discern Thomas urge Newt "WE'RE ALMOST THERE!" Gally encourages us, I glance back towards Newt and Thomas, only to find Thomas ahead of him, leaving Newt now at the back of our group, fear begins to build within my bones, clenching around my heart as it begins to ache from the run, I face forward timorously. I come to regret it once I realize the train is gaining an unsettling amount of proximity towards us, with mere yards separating our group from eminent demise, we sprint with haste, although our bodies demand for rest and our scarred bones cry for attention, skidding to a stop, Gally veers off toward our left to a ladder alongside the wall, I halt in my tracks, almost slamming into him "GO! GO! GO!" , ignoring the fact he screams straight into my ear, I ascend the railing, I restrain myself from sneering towards him as he ushers me forward by the incurve of my waist. But as I climb, I catch a figure tumble to the ground in my peripherals, whirling my attention away from my footing, my features fall as the blood drains from my face when I realize Newt has fallen onto the middle of the tracks, struggling to rise to his feet as he clenches his arm, his frightened features contorting in pain, Thomas, who notices my features skids to a halt, gyrating his attention towards Newt "NEWT!" I scream, descending the ladder to assist him, Thomas devises to join me "STAY HERE! I'LL GET HIM!", I ignore Gally, continuing my descent. But just as my feet touch the floor once again, Thomas secures a hand around my waist and tugs me flush between his chest and the wall, before I can demand for him to release me, the train whizzes past, watching with wide, alarmed orbs as it barely misses me by a petite inch, but realization settles in, and with an aching heart, I watch as Newt and Gally get bulldozed over by the oncoming train "NO!" I scream, frailing my arms around as I struggle to liberate myself from Thomas, who protects me from danger. "THOMAS, LET ME GO! HE NEEDS ME!" I demand lividly, wringing my entire body to somehow gain a sliver of space to somehow save my Newt from inevitable demise "PLEASE! LET ME GO! NEWT! PLEASE, THOMAS!", my cries are left unacknowledged as a sharp pain stabs at my chest, I huff out in alarm, winded from the attack as I fail to steady myself, I detect my knees buckling to the sudden weight within my chest as it becomes strangely exigent to breathe, realization is a cruel reality as it slithers into my comprehension "no" I whimper as I begin to sob. "Please, no, not him" I stifle out in between my cries, which begin to grow heavy with mourning and more vigorous "please" I beg the universe "I'm so sorry, Rose", allowing my tears to torrent down my cheeks, I allow my sobs to reign control over me in the mere moments the train continues to brush past us, clinging to Thomas to anchor me as I become unsteady with grief and loss, I begin to detect myself being vertiginous, my stomach filling with an emptiness I never wish to detect again, turning myself away from the scene, I curl into Thomas's chest. Allowing myself to succumb to my fervid sobs, he rakes a soothing hand through my locks as I allow my vulnerabilty to display itself, the roar of the train begins to fade and a gust of wind grazes against my cheeks, chilling them to the touch, I curl even further into Thomas's chest, unable to gaze at the scene of Newt's demise, that is until, I discern a groan of pain, whirling my head away from Thomas and towards where the train has disappeared, hope sparks within my chest and my heart swells with profound relief. Without moments of hesitation, I dash towards Newt and Gally, who amazingly remain virtually unharmed by the whole ordeal "that was close", I discern Gally quip weakly as he scrambles off from being on top of Newt "we never were great runners, were we, Newt?" Gally huffs out "well, I only got one good leg" Newt quips gently "and I only have one good lung" Gally retorts as he assists the boy to his feet, shaking his head, Newt chuckles, I rush to him, throwing myself into him as I wrap my arms around his neck, cuddling close to him. I continue to sob into his shoulder as I smack my fists against his back feebly, attempting to reobtain my stable breathing "shuck you, Newt! Don't you dare do that again! You shucking scared the klunk out of me! If you do that again I will beat the klunk out of you!" I manage in between my tears, tettering from my sudden embrace and taken aback by my words, Newt hesitantly wraps his arms around me "I'm sorry, Love, I'm sorry I scared you" he whispers comfortingly towards me, I tighten my coil around him "you better be" I mewl. He allows his hold to slacken slightly, only to bring his lips to my own, although tears trickle down my cheeks and my heart is still rapid from the scare, I ease into his lips, smiling faintly, disconnecting our lips, he wipes away my tears with the pad of his thumb "I thought I lost you" I struggle out "I know, Love, I'm sorry, just please stop crying", noticing the break within his voice, I steady my breathing and attempt to cease my tears, sniffling loudly, I dry my tears as he sends me a comforting smile "I don't like trains anymore".