Chapter 73

***Follow me and vote***

Why didn't he ask me that question again?

I went back to the office with that question still in my head. I asked Ed if Skyler was in his office when I was at the front desk. I even asked if he had eaten his lunch. He sometimes skips it when he is angry. He told me he came back from a lunch meeting half an hour ago. I sighed and went to my office. I was now sitting in my office and just staring at the file. The thing he didn't question me back about was still budgeting me. Maybe he was getting late for his meeting and, in a hurry, he forgot to ask me that. I thought while glaring at the file, about which I didn't even know what was in it. I moved my head in denial. I need to stop this. 

"Hazel, Just stop thinking and focus on your work," I scolded myself and looked back at the file. I can think about it in my free time. After a good scolding, I started focusing on my work. The rest of the day I kept working, somehow forgetting that question. Nearly four hours later, I closed the file and slumped back on the chair. 

My back muscles are tired from sitting in one position for a long time. I put my hands over my head and stretched a bit. It's been more than five hours, and Skyler has still not messaged or even called me. Is he still angry because I took Lee with me to the meeting? He must be still sulking in his office over it. I moved my head in disbelief. I decided to get him some coffee and hand him some files too. Tomorrow is a board meeting, and he needs them for it. I will ask Ed to send a cup of coffee to his office. I walked to the front desk with the files in my hand, but Ed was not alone; Lee was there too. I grin while looking at them. It made Ed smile at me shyly. I was about to ask him for coffee when I saw Skyler walking out of his office. When his forest green eyes fell on me and then on Les, His eyes narrowed at him, and his jaw clenched. 

"Ed, I will be out of the office, and if there are any important calls for me, divert them to me," he said to him, which he was supposed to say to me. I'm his secretary, not him. He didn't even look my way and walked towards the elevator with a sulking face. 

"Is he mad at you?" Ed asked, looking at me while I was still busy glaring at his back. 

"Don't ask," I said and puffed out the air out of my mouth in disbelief. After that, I did work, and then it was soon time to go home. Reaching home, I changed my clothes and made dinner for us. I looked at the clock when I was done cooking dinner. My brows furrowed looking at the time. It was past seven. Why has he still not returned? I decided to take a shower. With dripping wet hair, I walked out of the bathroom. I wrapped a towel around it and walked into the closet. Wearing my pyjamas, I walked out of our room. I let my hair down for the air to dry it. He was still not here. 

I checked my cell phone, and there was no message from him. I decided to watch TV until he comes back, and then we will eat dinner together. But I didn't realise when my eyes closed that I was now sleeping on the couch. The next time I opened my eyes, it was because of hunger. I was still sleeping on the couch, and the TV was still on. I again looked at the clock with half-opened eyes to find it was midnight. I again checked my cell phone to find no message from him. Why has he still not come back? What is taking him so long? Did something happen to him? All those worrisome thoughts came to my head. I dialled his number, but it went directly to a voice message. 

"Where are you? Why is it taking you so long? Please call me back now," I said and cut the call, which went to his voice message. I was pacing around in the living room waiting for his call, but I still didn't receive any. It started to scare me even more. I called Zanvil. 

"Hazel! "Is everything alright?" he asked me as soon as he received my call. 

"Sorry to disturb you this late, but do you know where Skyler is? He is still not home, and he has not been picking up my calls," I said in my worried-filled voice. Tears were starting to form in my eyes.