Chapter 120

***Follow me here and on Instagram and vote***

His innocent question felt so heavy on my chest.

"You should talk with him," I heard Ava say to me. She grabbed my shoulder as if saying she was here. She knows how I must be feeling. She was a single mother, too. Neil never knew who his father was, and now suddenly he knows the person he plays with, who is his best friend, is his father. It must have come to him like a shock. Things that happen at this fragile age stay with you for a long time. What kind of havoc is going on in his innocent mind? My heart sinks at the mere thought. I swallowed hard and took a deep breath. I need to be strong.

"I should talk with him," I said while swallowing my tears. I can't be weak now. I have to be strong for both of us. I nodded my head towards Skyler, and he nodded back in understanding. Skyler took his small hand and walked him to me. My friends left us alone, giving us little privacy. I wanted to tell him that Skyler was his father soon because I was still not prepared. I never wanted him to find out like this. Things always happen in my life unexpectedly. Neil stood in front of me. He looked at me with the same innocent, questioning eyes. I felt so overwhelmed because I had never talked to him about his father. I lifted him and made him sit on my lap. Skyler bends down to his level. His baby hair was falling on his forehead. I combed his hair with my fingers.

"Mama," he urged. I took a deep breath. I need to say it.

"Yes, baby, your friend is your father," I said carefully, and I smiled at him lightly. His eyes widened when I confirmed it. Skyler took both his hands, making him look at him.

"Yes, baby, I'm your dad," Skyler said again with a small smile on his face while rubbing his thumb over his small hands. Neil didn't say anything but just kept looking at us. I knew he must have lots of questions in his head. I was expecting him to question us because if he is curious about something, he won't stop questing until he knows everything. But I was surprised when he pulled his hands out of Skyler's hold and buried his face in my chest. He tried to wrap his small hands around me as if he were a bit scared. Skyler looked at me. His forest green eyes held distress and hurt after looking at Neil's reaction.

"Mama, let's go to grandma. I don't want to live here," he mumbled while still hiding his face, refusing to look at Skyler. I saw tears welling up in Skyler's eyes when he heard Neil. My heart was shattering, looking at both father and son. Neil didn't want to stay there, so we left soon after. We were now sitting in the car, going back to his place. Skyler tried to take him from me, but he refused to go to his father and tighten his hold on me. Skyler's face fell again, and he looked out of the window to hide his emotions. A few tears fell from my eyes. I wiped them with the back of my hand and took a deep breath. I covered his hand with mine, which made him look at me. My eyes were silently giving him messages saying we would talk with him again. I kept holding his hands until we reached the house.

I took Neil to my room because he wouldn't let go of me. Skyler stood at the door and kept looking at us. I stayed beside him. He fell asleep with great difficulty. Even in his sleep, he kept holding my hands tightly. I stayed beside him until he fell asleep. Once I was assured that he was sleeping, I walked out of the room. I found Skyler sitting on the couch. He was sitting in a distressed position. His hands were holding his head. He was lost in his thoughts because he didn't notice when I walked into the living room. I sigh deeply and walk to him. He was still so lost in thought. I put my hand on his shoulder, and it made him look at me. His eyes were red, as if he had cried. We both kept looking at each other.

"Did he sleep?" he asked me while looking away. He was trying to sound normal.

"Yes," I said while looking at his troubled face.

"Good, he fell asleep. He should rest," he said again, trying to hide his pain.

"Don't worry, we will talk with him again." I tried to console him. My words made Skyler look at me again.

"He hates me," he said, looking straight into my eyes when he couldn't hold up his brave facade. I saw a tear slip from the corner of his eyes, and my heart felt like it was squeezed. I cupped his face, making him look at me.

"No, he doesn't. He is just surprised because he found out so suddenly," I said in my soft voice, trying to make him understand.

"Give him some time. He will come around," I said in the same soft tone while pulling him to me. He buried his face in my stomach, and his hands wrapped around my waist. I know a hug is what he needs most now.

"He didn't even come to me," Skyler said in his small voice. I moved my hands in his hair, trying to calm him down.

"What if he never accepts me as his father? What will I do? I have already lost four years of his life. His first step His first word His first smile Four years of his growing up. Now I don't want to lose him for the rest of my life." His voice cracked when he said that. I felt guilty. I was responsible for this situation too. Even though we had broken up when I was pregnant. He had the right to know I was pregnant as the father of the baby. He had the right to choose if he wanted to be in his child's life. I felt guilty for not giving him his right to choose. Tears slipped out of my eyes.

"I'm sorry. I'm responsible for this situation. I should have told you that I'm pregnant," I said out loud, admitting it. If he had done this to me, I would have never forgiven him. My heart hurts to find myself in this position. He pulled me down, making me sit on his lap. He wiped my tears with the pad of his thumb.

"Don't blame yourself. You have gone through enough. I'm equally responsible for it. You didn't tell me because I had failed to give you that security. I had driven you away. If I had not blamed you, things would have been different. Only if I would have kept holding it a bit longer. If only I had trusted you, things would have been different for the three of us," he said in a creaking voice, and I saw emotions surging up in his eyes.

"We both were immature in the past. Made a mistake and paid the price for it. The only thing we can do is try not to make that mistake again," he said, the same emotions lingering in his eyes. I didn't know what to say. Everything felt so overwhelming. Everything that took place in these past four years started to run in front of my eyes. I couldn't keep holding his gaze. I looked away while swallowing hard. I took deep breaths to calm myself when he buried his face in my chest and wrapped his hands around me. The Skyler I knew four years ago seemed so different from the Skyler who was in front of me.

We have both changed so much. We have forgotten our differences and come together for our child's health for the time being. I wrapped my hands around him as a single tear slipped from my left eye. For the first time, I felt like I was being understood. We have grown so much in the past four years.

Time is what makes you a different person.

_______________________________________
A/N

Get early access to new chapters on Patreon.

Ashes of a Lie Completed.
Stolen Secretary Completed. 
Bed of Nails up to chapter 32.

To know more search  PatreonBlueDragon95 to find me.

Vote, comment, and share.