Chapter 135

***Follow me here and on Instagram and vote***

"Don't worry, Mrs. Smith. I make sure to free her from all her stress."

He winked at me, and I glared at him even more. Just how he manages to make a situation like this. I moved my head in disbelief. I started discussing with mom the arrangements for Neil's birthday party, which was only a day away. Tomorrow, my brother and his wife are coming. I asked Skyler about the invitation cards he was planning to distribute to our family and friends. We were in the middle of talking when Neil pulled his dad's shirt out for his attention. He looked at him.

"Dada I'm thirsty. I want water," he said in his baby voice. He gave him puppy eyes, as if he were going to refuse him. We laughed in amusement when he said that.

"Let's get you water," Skyler said in amusement while lifting him in his arms.

"His sipper bottle is on the kitchen counter," I said to him, and he nodded. I washed it and kept it on the kitchen counter to dry. He gave me a thumbs-up while walking into the kitchen.

"Hazel," my mother called me, making me look away from their retreating figures.

"Hmm," I hummed while looking at her. My mother looked in Skyler's direction and then back at me.

"Is he taking good care of you both?" my mother asked in her soft voice while looking straight into my eyes. I went quiet for a minute, not knowing how to answer her. Her question made me think. Many things came to mind. But there was one thing Skyler did not let us worry about: We got everything even before we asked for it. He put our needs on his priority list.

"Yes, Mom, he has been taking very good care of us. You don't need to worry about us," I said with a soft smile. Assuring her that she doesn't need to worry about us

"You are not saying it, so I stop worrying about you," she asked in a voice every mother uses to find out the truth from her children.

"No, Mom, he has been taking good care of us. First, I had intentions of coming back home once we were done with Neil's surgery, but then he made me change my mind. He loves Neil and wants the best for him, as do I," I said to my mother with a faint smile on my face.

"What about you? Does he love you? Or are you making amendments to your plans for the sake of Neil? To make him grow up in a happy family?" She asked in a serious voice while squeezing my arm lightly.

"I have seen how heartbroken you were. I have seen how you tried to survive each day for the sake of your child. You were breathing, but dead inside. It hurt me every time I saw you like that. No mother wishes to see her child in that pain. I just don't want you to go through the same pain again," she said with tears in her eyes while cupping my face lovingly. Just remembering that hard time brought tears to my eyes. I could feel her pain. She was always beside me. Taking care of me. Giving me strength. My pregnancy had turned complicated. It was she who made me believe everything would be fine. She told me I would forget all my pain when I held my child. She was indeed right. I forgot all my sorrows when I held Neil for the first time. She was my biggest support during my hard times. I looked at her with teary eyes.

My mother doesn't say or make me feel this, but she always gets worried thinking about me and Neil. She was scared, thinking about what would happen to us if something happened here. It was eating her from the inside. She didn't want her fate to come to me. She had worked hard as a single parent after my dad's death to give us the best life. She worked hard in a society full of men. I have seen my mother deal with a hard life from a very young age. That's the reason I started working at a very young age. I did my best to help Mom. I wanted to reduce her burden somehow. I did all sorts of part-time jobs to help her. But she only took a dollar from the money I earn and asked me to save the rest for when I go to college. I had no hope that I would ever go to college. Education was expensive, and I didn't want to burden my mother more. But everything turned on our side when I received the scholarship. My mother only accepted the money I had earned from my first real job. A tear slid down my cheek from my left eye. I wiped it with the back of my hand. I held her hand in mine.

"Mom, I know what you are saying, but trust me. I'm not doing this only for Neil. Skyler loves me too. Yes, we have some misunderstandings between us, and we are still working on them. We are far from being perfect, but we are trying our best because of the love we have for each other. He loves me, and I love him too. For four years, I tried my best to forget him, but I was never successful in that. Because he is still and always has been in my heart," I told her the truth and more tears fell from my eyes. I did my best to assure her that I was happy. She nodded her head in understanding and wiped her numb eyes.

"I pray to God every day to give the best to my children, and Thanks to him, you are happy again," she sent a prayer to her Lord. God has always been her consoler to lean on in tough times. The wrinkles on her forehead faded after she heard me.

"Now stop crying, or else Neil won't stop asking until you tell him the reason behind it, and I think Neil's father too," my mother said with a smile on her face. She wiped my face, and I hugged her from the side.

"I don't know what I would have done without you," I said while still hugging her. I can't even imagine my life without her. She chuckled and hugged me back.

"I want a hug too," Neil said, getting out of his father's arms. He handed his sipper to his dad. We then had a group hug. Both of us chuckled at his actions. Skyler kept looking at us with amusement. Skyler sat beside me with his hand behind him on the head of the couch. He sat so near me in front of my mother.

"Nano, I want to sleep," Neil said while rubbing his eyes.

"I will take him," my mother said even before I could stand up. She took him to her room, and I was about to follow her, but inside, Skyler pulled me back, making me land on his lap.

"Skyler," I huffed, trying to get away from him, but he wrapped both hands around my waist, making me stay seated on his lap. He kissed the back of my neck. My body shivered with sweet fear. My heart started to beat fast.

"You love me, huh?"

_______________________________________
A/N
Get early access to new chapters on Patreon.
Ashes of a Lie Completed.

Stolen Secretary Completed.
Bed of Nails up to chapter 40.
The Nuptials of Convenience up to Chapter 6

To know more search PatreonBlueDragon95 to find me.

Vote, comment, and share.