Chapter 44

Today was Friday so Joohyun came back home from school, Chen Yang also came back from the police station to have dinner, while Mayor Chen didn't have a meeting to attend today, so the Chen family got together for a rare family dinner.

"Irin, ah, eat some more." Mother Chen pinched a dish with her chopstick and put it in Joohyun's bowl, "Don't stress yourself over exams, it's okay if you can pass."

"How can you teach the children this way? Of course she must do well on the exam, how can it be okay to just pass?" Mayor Chen disagreed, "This is the kind of 'perfunctory and not striving to make progress' attitude."

"What's perfunctory? Isn't the school requirement just to pass?" Mother Chen retorted.

"Passing is the minimum standard, if everyone in society just wants to barely pass, then if they muddle through their work, how can society improve?" Mayor Chen replied back.

"Isn't it just an exam? How can you talk about society's improvement?" Mother Chen said with displeasure.

"I mean, this kind of attitude..."

Joohyun saw her parents were quarreling about her exams, so she hurriedly stopped them, "Dad, don't worry, I'll try my best on exams. Mom, you can rest assured too, I was number one in my high school. Well, it's just a test, it's not that tiring."

"I knew my daughter was so smart." Mother Chen happily picked up another bit of food for her daughter.

"Take the test seriously." Mayor Chen also encouraged.

Joohyun nodded with a smile on the surface, but she was actually feeling gloomy inside, let's not be hung up on math!

After focusing on his daughter, Mayor Chen began to focus on his son, he called out, "Chen Yang."

"Dad." Chen Yang turned his head.

"Did you arrest a person named Qi Changming the other day?" Mayor Chen raised this topic all of a sudden.

Qi Changming? Joohyun's hand stopped as she raised her head and looked towards her brother.

Chen Yang was also looking at her, but he quickly turned his head to his father and replied, "Dad, do you know him?"

"I don't know him." Mayor Chen shook his head, "It's just that someone called me the other day to plead on his behalf, saying the other party had offended you."

"He didn't offend me, and I won't arrest people just because they offended me, I was just following the rules." Chen Yang answered,

"That's good, the police are a disciplined force, you must be cautious and don't fall for gossip when handling things." Mayor Chen naturally didn't agree to the other party's plea, otherwise he wouldn't wait so long to ask Chen Yang. He suddenly recalled this matter, so he inquired about it to his son in passing.

"I know." Chen Yang nodded.

Joohyun was greatly relieved her elder brother didn't mention she was 'molested'. Her heart felt like it was touching her throat. If her parents who felt like they owed her for her childhood knew their daughter had been molested, then they would definitely make a fuss.

Except for this incident, dinner went on quite comfortably. Joohyun stayed downstairs to accompany Mother Chen in watching TV for a while before she went up to her room.

Joohyun took a shower and was blowing her hair dry when she heard a knock on the door. Joohyun hesitated, found a towel to wrap her hair up, and then went to open the door.

"Brother." Joohyun looked with some surprise at Chen Yang who was standing at her door.

"May I come in?" Chen Yang asked.