Chapter 70

Joohyun forcibly sent Chen Yang's soul back to his body, and then raised her hand to lift off the oxygen mask on his face.

"Irin, what are you doing?" Mother Chen couldn't help but cry out in alarm when she saw Joohyun's abnormal behavior.

What was she doing?

Before coming to the capital, Joohyun wasn't very interested in learning exorcism. In the past 15 years, if there was a period she had been interested in exorcism, it was probably the winter vacation of the third year of junior high school.

"Are you doing your homework again? Stop writing and go out with me to practice magic." Elder Wu tapped Joohyun's desk with his dry pipe.

"No." Joohyun didn't lift her head and flipped another page of her test paper.

"Why do you always either read or do problems? Er Mao, next door, is in your class. Why doesn't he have so much homework?" Elder Wu didn't understand.

"That's why his grades aren't as good as mine, ah," Joohyun replied.

"You usually have no time because of school, but I'm not forcing you either. This winter vacation is hard to come by. You should hurry and learn more about exorcism from me," Elder Wu said.

"Old man, I'm about to take the midterm. Time is very tight." In previous years, Joohyun would go out with her grandpa during the winter and summer holidays, but not this year. The midterm exams were coming up, and the teacher urged them to catch up on their studies.

"You've been the number one year after year. Can't you possibly get into a high school?" the grandpa asked.

"I want to take the key class. The teacher said I can enter a key university in the key class," Joohyun said and calculated another problem. Only then did she take time to look at her grandfather. "Besides, what is the use of learning those arts?"

"Why is it useless? Don't you think it's cool?" The grandpa asked excitedly, "You can see things that others can't, and you can also do spells."

"What's the use of that? You can't tell others when you see a ghost, lest others will think you're nuts. You can use magic, but can't deal with ordinary people, lest you'll be stained with karma. What you taught me is simply meaningless, except that you can subdue ghosts." Joohyun analyzed, "Besides, expiating the sins of the dead earns no money money. You also often meet malevolent ghosts, and to make matters worse, you have to foot the medical bills."

"Don't you think sending ghosts to the Underworld and destroying malevolent ghosts are maintaining world peace??" Elder Wu asked.

"Will the world become dangerous without me?" Joohyun asked rhetorically.

"Er..." Elder Wu discovered that since this girl went to junior high school, he actually couldn't defeat her in debate.

"No!" Joohyun replied on behalf of the old man. "The world will remain the same minus us. Us performing ceremonies to help souls find peace doesn't have that much of an impact. At most, we're good people doing good deeds. "

"Doing good deeds sounds pretty noble, but what can it bring us?" Joohyun asked, "Others can be praised for giving a seat on the bus, but who would know when we're exhausted from catching ghosts? Moreover... There are so many people in the world. Why must I step forward to do good deeds?"

"Wicked girl, hasn't your teacher taught you truth, goodness and beauty?" Elder Wu obviously didn't expect Joohyun to come up with this argument. "How can you be so self-centered at such a young age?"

"I didn't say that doing good things is bad. Which time did I stand idly by when we've encountered malevolent ghosts harming people before?" Joohyun countered, "I just think that in this kind of business, we must do what is within our means. There's no need to spend so much time doing good deeds just to improve cultivation. I still have my own business to do, ah. I have to study, go to college, and work to earn money in the future."