Chapter 44

I froze and looked up at the two men in suits.

"You need to talk with me? Why's that?"

The blond haired man in front of the stairs reached into his pocket and pulled out an ID.

In big black letters next to his photo I could read "Hunters Association Representative" and beside that, a large letter C. This guy is the real deal.

I gulped.

"I- uhm. Of course. What would you like to talk about?"

He grinned and put the card back in his pocket.

"Come on walk with us, I'd rather speak in private."

I agreed and followed the men down the escalator. What else could I do right now?

I probably did look pretty suspicious. All my items are in my item storage, it looks like I came out of that dungeon with nothing on me. Half my clothes are ripped off too... That can't help.

After boarding the train we made it back to the main dungeon hub pretty quickly. I just stood next to them in awkward silence as the cement walls flew by.

We walked through the crowds of people in the main hub back up to the surface and they lead me down the street a few blocks. It was still awkward and silent, my heart was starting to beat out of my chest. My foot hurts too, i didn't even think about how uncomfortable it'd be to walk around with no shoe on....

We made it to a large silver tower with the Association's logo on the entrance. This must be one of their main buildings in the capital. It's so much bigger than the one I go to back home!

The men opened the front door and we were immediately greeted by a tall dark featured woman in the lobby.

"Welcome back Sirs."

The blond man nodded and walked straight towards and elevator at the back of the room. The other man motioned me to follow.

I complied and we rode the elevator up to the 17th floor. They lead me to an office room.

It was just us now.

My heart continued to pound loudly, I could feel it in my ears.

The walls were white and the room hummed with the fait sound of a mana shield. This is a magic interrogation room... There were a few comfortable looking seats in a triangle all facing each other. We sat down. The man spoke up.

"We've been tailing you since this morning. There's no point in lying to us."

I stared straight ahead at both of them.

"W-Why? What did I do wrong-"

"You're not in the wrong here, we'd just like to hear the full story without any outside interference."

"The whole story? I- what do you mean?"

I'm not sure exactly what they know... and what they're trying to make me admit. I doubt they're really on my side In this whole situation...

"What're your names anyway? If I'm not in the wrong here, this is no way to treat a guest."

"I'm Daniel. This is Kenji."

He pointed to the man with black hair. He smiled at me.

"Okay. Cool. I'm Jay."

I took a deep breath and tried to relax a bit. I am in the Hunters Association building after all... I didn't really do anything wrong. I should calm down and act like it.

Daniel spoke up.

"The two hunters that recruited you to go dungeon diving with them this morning."

I eyed him carefully.