Chapter 116

I make my way down the dimly lit streets. The sidewalks are empty and there isn't a single person in sight. My footsteps echo through the dark alleys as I walk straight toward the Dungeon Hub.

My mental clarity is unmatched, I know exactly what I have to do.

"I need to get back into that Labyrinth."

If the association wants to force a mandatory contract on me, I'll make it as hard as possible for them. I'll train all night and sharpen my skills. If the offer they put in front of me resembles a slave contract in any way, I'll just go rogue.

I already have a pretty good reputation as "The Flame Emperor" in the black market society here. If all else fails, I guess I'll be fine...

I gulp.

"This is my decision. My unique skill is a special one. Possibly the most powerful skill there is, I need my freedom to use it to its full potential. I-"

My footsteps cease to echo into the night as I realize my error in wasted potential... I just spent 200PP... I could have upgraded my Absorption skill to legendary grade. With a sigh, I open my status and activate my All-Seeing Eye to check out my most important attribute.

____________________

Absorption

Info: This is a unique skill. Upon dealing the final killing blow to any creature, the caster has the capability to absorb its skills. Absorbed skills will be adapted to fit the caster's biology.

Grade: No Grade

[Upgrade]

____________________

I click Upgrade without hesitation.

____________________

Upgrade: 50PP

[No Grade] -> [Special Grade]

Skills acquired using absorption will increase in grade class up to [Special Grade] upon casting.

A [Special Grade] hidden ability: After defeating opponents of considerable strength, there is a chance the caster will be able to absorb 5% of their open highest stat points. This will permanently increase the caster's status. For every 5 levels that the opponent surpasses the caster's own, the probability of triggering this passive ability increases by 1%.

____________________

I click upgrade and smile with satisfaction. I have 65PP left, I'll keep the rest stockpiled for now. Legendary-grade absorption probably would have been incredibly good, but special-grade will be a neat increase for the time being. These things happen for a reason, right?

I begin walking again and make it to the dungeon hub less than 15 minutes later. This is a much more populated portion of the city. Late-night hunting isn't too popular, but some still do it. Everyone has their own schedules after all. A dungeon's environment doesn't revolve around our 24hr clock, they're always the same inside, so it's the same diving experience.

I walk to the gates and show the nightshift guard my D-Class license to travel down into the hub. There's less than half a dozen hunters down here. I get on the first train and get off at the first stop. It's some random low-grade D-Class dungeon, I don't even take the time to read what monsters spawn here.

The moment I'm inside, I draw my sword and activate Dungeon Walker.

The instant I do, my body becomes very light. A portal doesn't even form. All I see are potential destinations in my mind's eye, my physical body isn't part of the equation. I lock onto an overlook in the mountains on floor 11 of the labyrinth and transport there without another thought.