Chapter 32

I fell to the rocky floor and watched the metal fragments of my broken sword hit the ground beside me.

I was alone in the boss room without a weapon.

This couldn't have gone any worse.

I'm so stupid. I have to think before i act...

I got so caught up in the hype of the moment. Why did i believe i could be the hero?

The mutant turned to me with its massive bloodshot eye.

I could feel the bloodlust as it stared down its prey.

I left like a deer in headlights, I couldn't move a muscle.

My mind was racing but my body couldn't move.

I had one last chance.

"Think Jay..."

The beast came rumbling towards me.

"THINK JAY... THINK!"

The rocky ground flew to the sides of its body as the monster came closer and closer.

"THINK!!!"

"THWACKKK."

The beast's massive club hit me again. It felt like every one of my ribs had been shattered.

I went flying backwards over 30m skidding along the ground. In my feeble state I checked my status to see 10/670 HP remaining.

I coughed up blood while reaching for my last HP potion.

"RUUUUUAAAAAAARRRR!!!"

All I could hear was sound of my impending doom.

As I chugged my last HP potion I yelled back at the creature with all my frustration and rage.

"AGGGGGHHHHGGG!"

I couldn't help but to let out flames, they surrounded my body.

All this talk about being a "hero" and becoming the "strongest". I may have gone in too deep, this is a truly superior opponent.... how can I defeat it?

I could hear my yells echo back at me in the cave. The fire around me created interesting shadows all over the ceiling and walls. The dancing flames and my tired state reminded me of the "hero's journey" in all of my favorite comics... this is where the the main character becomes stronger because be breaks through and wins even with unbeatable odds.

The dancing flames and eerie echoing silence brought me back to reality. I shook my head and erupted into flames even brighter.

"I CAN'T GIVE UP! NOT NOW!"

My fire is the key.

It's all I had left in my arsenal. My true last resort, I have to fight with fire alone.

Every battle with these cyclops creatures has been harder than the last. In they end, they all have fallen to my fire.

That's it....

A distinct scene from every battle played clear in my mind. The cyclops' weakness is always its eye.

We stared each other down. This was the moment of truth.

With out further hesitation we both charged forward.

I swerved to the left with all my strength and managed to dodge the beast's attack.

I didn't look back for a second, I sprinted straight for the cave wall to repeat my last attack. This time I would change my aim.

I could hear the heavy footsteps approaching close behind as I ran up the cave wall. I bend my knees and push off it with all my strength. This cyclops wasn't totally stupid, I was betting on that fact.