Chapter 65

Xavier stared me down with a cold look as I continued to shoot flames high up into the air through my sword.

The announcer's voice rang out again. I brought my sword down and let the flames go out slowly as I listened.

"Everybody knows the rules! There is no time limit in the ring, all tricks, magic items, and abilities are allowed! The winner will be decided by knockout, forfeit, or death. We will begin at the sound of the bell."

I brought my sword forward and pointed it at Xavier, he did the same with his own.

The cage around us rumbled and the crowd whispered and pointed.

*DING*

The sound of a bell rang and cheers came out from the crowd.

The white-haired swordsman scanned the arena for movements, but I was doing exactly the same. Each of us was waiting patiently for the other to make the first move and show weakness.

I used inspect.

[Lv. 217]

He sprinted to the left a split second after I activated my skill... almost like he could sense it. I reacted by jumping backward and to the right watching his movements.

Xavier is pretty quick on his feet, but I definitely have him beat in that department with these new boots. It's his eyes I'm more worried about. Every time I take a step in any direction or move my sword the slightest bit he tracks it like a hawk.

We basically ran around in a full circle for a few seconds as we examined each other's body movements.

This is getting boring.

I gripped my blade tight and ignited it back into a fiery display. I plant my right foot and lunge in to begin an attack.

Still expressionless, Xavier plants his foot and turns to face me with his sword by his side.

I lift my blade high in the air and aim it directly at his wide open body in front of me.

*CLANGGGG**SCRAPEEEE**THUD*

The moment I brought my blade down Xavier gracefully lifted his own sword and used my momentum to block my attack, but also curving his blade around my own to add speed to the swing. I was sent flying forward into the cage behind him.

As a defense mechanism, I erupted into flames to cover my full body the moment I lost balance. The exact moment I did, Xavier jumped backward to avoid being burned.

I smashed into the side of the cage but didn't take on any real damage. I got to my feet and let my body's flames go out, but keeping them lit around my sword as I pointed it at the white-haired knight.

He has an interesting fighting style. From what I see so far... Xavier isn't exceptionally fast or strong. He almost entirely relies on figuring out how to use his opponent's strengths against them. Probably... I'll have to do some more testing.

The crowd is oohing and awing trying to figure out which of us is their new favorite.

I'm not too worried about pleasing the crowd, winning the fight is my only concern.

I ran back in with a very similar attack, it produced a very similar outcome though.

Again, my attack was easily countered and the momentum of my brute-like swing was used against me.

Great... Looks like I'll have to use my brain, a little bit at least.

We squared up on opposite sides of the ring getting ready for our third clash. I initiated the charge and sprinted forward with my flaming blade in hand.