Chapter 118

I stare at the grey mass of energy spinning in front of me. My breaths slow down as I think over my current situation.

I could wait around outside the 16th-floor boss room for a few more hours. There are about 5 teams left, I'd have a few more chances to get stronger before facing the Greater Demon again.

On the other hand, it really couldn't hurt to test my luck. I can compare my new skills to the demon and teleport out instantly if I'm in any real danger.

I gulp.

"This is just a trial run..."

I take out both my blades. Sword in my right hand and dagger in my left.

Each footstep I take echoes in the narrow stone tunnel. The spinning portal gets closer and closer until I step through without a second thought.

The intensity of mana in the air rises as I'm transported into the final boss room.

My heart rate spikes as I activate all my stat-boosting skills my All-Seeing Eye.

Fast, yet light footsteps catch my attention from the back of the room. They vanish, then a dark swirling mass of energy appears no more than 20m in front of me.

I clench my jaw and lift my weapons as the Greater Demon appears.

Its eyes are a dreadful pale white contrasting its dark skin. The red-horned creature that one-shotted me last time we fought slowly walks toward me without a shred of hesitation in its movements.

My breathing speeds up and I ignite my body into a ball of fire. My eyes glance side to side trying to think of a plan. Then... I hear a deep voice ring out in my head.

"You've returned. It's not often a visitor comes back to see me a second time."

The towering demon continues its slow strut toward me as it shows me a sly toothy grin while flashing me the face of its sword.

My eyes and mouth both open wide for a moment, then I stutter a few words.

"D-Did you just talk... to me?"

The monster stares straight ahead, continuing its rhythmic strides in my direction.

"I did young one. It seems this is your first time... talking to one of my kind."

Frozen in place, I don't know how to process what's going on. I've heard of intelligent monsters, but never anything that can communicate to humans with actual words.

The demon is less than 10m away now, its voice rings out in my head again.

"It's a shame you had to come back here, I see a great potential in you, mere mortal. Unfortunately, I'll have to cut the bud before it blooms."

Drops of sweat roll down my forehead as the final boss comes closer and closer.

It's less than 5m away now.... and I'm finally coming back to my senses. A wave of urgency comes over me as I let out a thin smile.

"I'd like to see you try."

I use Dungeon Walker to teleport behind the demon and release a slash of fire from close range. It's a surprise attack, and a powerful one at that. I let out a grunt as the dark red wave of energy rockets toward the demon's exposed back.

Time seems to slow down as I watch my flames cut through the air.

My attack inches closer and closer but something doesn't feel quite right...

In the next moment, with unfathomable speed and precision, I watch the demon turn its neck to lock eyes with mine giving me a bone-chilling stare.

I watch the hard floor beneath its feet fracture as it propels itself away with both immense power and seamless ease. The deep voice rings in my head again.