Chapter 147

The 4 of us walk out of the Association market and into the narrow hallway before making it to the elevator in the lobby.

With a press of a button, the sliding doors close and we're gliding upward to see the Director. This is a spur-of-the-moment meeting, but I can't say I wasn't expecting something like this to happen.

I'm certain that the only way to farm Strengthening Fragments is to defeat Titans. The older members in the Association must be pulling some kind of newbie C-Class hazing tradition. The only other option frightens me a bit to think about... Maybe the Director himself set us up to fail...

He is the most powerful person in the entire Vice Region. I'd have to be pretty stupid to think I could pull a fast one on him.

I gulp while activating my conceal skill and watching the numbers on the elevator display screen increase quickly.

*Ding*

We make it to the top floor, and the penthouse office suite comes into view as the doors slide open.

Brutus, the tall old man, sits at his desk sifting through a pile of neatly stacked papers. His deep voice echoes as we step forward into his open room overlooking the entire city.

"Welcome back. This is the first time I'm seeing you 4 all together. Please, sit down, make yourselves comfortable."

We approach.

Maria is grinning while hopping light on her feet, Abby is keeping a straight back and a professional smile, and Arie walks over with an emotionless gaze.

I manage a combination of all 3. With quick steps, I smirk but keep my emotions in check. I'm both excited to see what new tasks we have next week, but also anxious to hear what the old man has to say about us completing this impossible quota.

There are 4 comfortable-looking chairs in front of his desk in a perfect half circle. They match the white theme of the room with black accents on their arms and undersides to go along with the darker shade of his desk.

We sit down and the Director begins.

"First of all, I'd like to congratulate all of you for making it this far. You've completed your first week as C-Class Hunters contracted with the association. I'd like to celebrate. It's not every day a team of newcomers passes my entrance test."

He grins, then looks over to one of the empty white walls while pressing a small button underneath his desk.

To my surprise, a large section of the wall slides forward in the shape of a door. The tall pale-skinned, blond-haired assistant comes out from a secret room. She's holding a circular metal tray.

I take a peek in before the wall slides closed. It looks pretty similar to this study. White walls, a wide open glass window view of the city, a large desk sitting in the center, and even a long couch near the corner with all kinds of artwork hanging on the walls over it. It looks like she's added a little flair to her office.

The Director's voice rings through the room again.

"Some of you haven't met Samantha yet, this is my lovely assistant."

Both of them lock eyes and smile as she brings over the mysterious platter.

The woman places it on the desk before us, and my anticipation crumbles. I realize it's just 6 tall glasses with fizzling sour liquid.

Letting oh an exhale I mutter under my breath.

"More alcohol..."

I didn't realize how much people really drank until I couldn't drink myself. It seems like everyone just finds any excuse to get drunk.