Chapter 169

"What do you mean there's been another change of plans? There's always a change of plans... Ya know! I have a few things I want to talk about with you!"

I've been particularly irritable lately. Maybe it's from the lack of mana, or just my time away from people and stimulation again. I know shouting at the Director and calling him out on the spot is a rash decision, but my mouth is moving faster than my brain right now.

"...."

He responds after another long pause.

"Well, I'm glad you're so energetic today. I hear your mana control is much more refined than I predicted it would be. It seems you've managed to exceed my expectations once again."

I grit my teeth and think about going off on a rant about him lying to me every step of the way during my time at the association, but pause and hold my tongue.

Red-faced and gripping the glowing white box, I take a deep breath in and out before calmly responding with a more calculated approach....

"Good to talk with you too, Director.... I was surprised to be assigned a training partner in the Labyrinth. I was under the impression I was climbing solo."

I gulp, hoping my delicate wording is enough to get my point across, but not bite the hand that feeds me too hard just yet.

There's another long pause as Fisher makes his way over to me with an angry expression of his own across his face.

The Director responds before the blue-hairs Elite can get a word in.

"Jay, I do apologize if you feel you've been lied to during your first two weeks at the Association. It's only natural, you haven't exactly been completely truthful with us either."

My heart skips a beat as I hear this line from the old man come through the glowing box...

I don't reply.

The Director's voice continues to ring out.

"I enjoy playing games, as long as I know I'll win in the end. Your recent developments have me rethinking a few moves..."

Another pause follows.

The suspense is killing me.

I begin to repeat his words in my head over and over to try and figure out what exactly he's getting at. I haven't been truthful? As long as he wins? Rethinking moves?

It sounds like this old man has gone crazy... by the way he's speaking, it really seems like he looks at life like it's a big chess game or something...

I finally respond after Fisher elbows me in the gut, whispering in my ear: "Come on, say something!"

I respond in a low calculated tone.

"Mr. Director. I appreciate the assistance with my training recently, but I remember you telling me this was a solo mission. For now, that is my only complaint. I'd like to know exactly what I'm getting myself into before I agree to something, and trust that I'm in safe hands.... Especially with all this talk of the Dark Continent. I believe we need to come to a better agreement."

Another 5-second pause follows before the old man's voice rings out.

"I understand how you feel, and I believe we can come to a better conclusion after your current mission is complete."

I clench my jaw, but hold back from cutting him off as he continues.

"For now, could you please hand the transmission tablet back to Fisher? I have urgent matters to attend to. You may even get what you're asking for sooner than you think."