Chapter 90

[Time Remaining Until Test 2: 17 Hours]

We walk over to sit across from Bruce and Nessa at a long wooden table. I scan the area to see more and more unfamiliar faces. Some smile while others glare. A few seem to be in the private closed-off areas resting as well. Maria keeps her left arm under the table.

Nessa speaks up first.

"So what happened? You took so long we thought- "

I smile and interrupt.

"We came to an agreement with that stubborn orange-haired brute. It just took a while, long story."

I turn to Maria and sigh. She nods and blinks a few times, then we both turn our heads forward again. Nessa just smiles.

"Well, that's a relief. Maybe I can manage to get some sleep after all."

She turns to one of the open curtains of a private resting area, then looks back at me.

"Say, uh, Jay. Could I take a peek at your Fire Magic before the start of the next test?"

I nod while scoping out the resting areas for myself. We have plenty of time before our next test, a nice long sleep would be nice.

"Sure, just remind me."

She smiles as Bruce interjects.

"Yeah, I'll be getting some rest too. I need a shield for the next phase of this exam though, hopefully, I'll be able to make a trade. I'm sure some of the less skilled hunters will be arriving as time ticks down. They'll surely need a leftover potion or two for a sword right?."

He scans the crowds looking for anyone willing to give up their shield. I can see a bit of fear in his eyes.

Most of the items being traded are just potions and dropped loot from the floors below. Not many people are giving up their weapons. I do feel kind of bad.... I completely forgot about his shield. With the adrenaline from battle, and the mission to get Maria back, retrieving their lost gear totally slipped my mind. I speak up and look Bruce in the eyes.

"Well, I'm sure you'll find the right person willing to trade eventually.

He nods slowly.

"Thanks."

I survey the crowd one last time and decide there's not much else I want to do right now but sleep. It would be the most productive thing right now.... Unless.... I turn to Maria.

"Hey, I'm going to get some rest. Could you come with me real quick?"

Her eyes perk up as I point to an open curtain of a resting room nearby. She quickly agrees and we both stand up. Nessa speaks.

"Well, that was fast. See you in a bit I guess, rest up."

We leave moments later with a wave.

Upon entering the small curtained-off room, I look around. There are 3 small cushioned beds on all of the walls not counting the entrance. The room is about 3m long and 3m wide. As I shut the white curtain, the room stays softly lit with a white glow. I turn to Maria.

"Do you need anything? I'll be out for a while?"

She stares at me with a confused look.

"You'll be... out for a while?"

I grin and turn to the back wall of the room.

"Dungeon Walker."

A large black swirling portal appears in front of us and Maria's eyes open wide.

"Oh-Oh. You can... leave?"

I nod with a slight grin.

"The only rules were no fighting, and no entering floor 12. He never said we can't leave the exam site and come back later."