Chapter 63

The underground market seemed to go on forever. We walked for about 20 more minutes, every new merchant stand looked the same to me. Every 100m or so there were doors and hallways that lead off of the main path, but they all either lead up to the surface or were private property.

Bernard finally stopped in front of another small merchant shop and smiled at an old bald man that was half asleep sitting on a small wooden crate.

"Morning Tom!"

The old merchant shook his head and stood to his feet immediately in a startled fashion.

"O-hoo! It's you! Good morning to you too Bernard. How can I help ya?"

"Have any extra lives in stock? The kid needs at least a D grade for his fight today in the Rumble Dome."

The old man grinned.

I just looked at them both in confusion for a few seconds and spoke up.

"An... extra life? What do you mean by that?"

They both ignored my question.

The old merchant started to dig through a box full of junk items for a bit longer than I had the patience for.

I became antsy and started looking around his small shop examining random items that I had no intention of buying. Most of the stuff in here is just old E Class potions and used gear... Honestly, every shop looks like this down here. I guess you really have to get to know your sellers to find the good stuff.

Finally, Tom pulled a small cube-shaped piece of metal with a long black string tied around it from under his pile of scrap items.

"Here she is. It's probably got a day or two left on it, a mid-level D Grade I reckon. You know I make em' cheap, but it'll definitely save your life in a pinch. 3 silver and it's yours."

Bernard nodded and turned to me.

"You heard him, 3 silver."

I squinted my eyes and looked at the cube of metal on the end of a ragged string.

"3 silver for what? A good luck charm? What am I even buying here?"

Bernard rolled his eyes.

"Just buy it. I'll explain on the way back."

I'm really getting pushed around here... It's starting to get annoying.

"Fine."

I handed the old merchant 3 silver coins and he took them while handing me the odd magic item.

"Pleasure doing business with ya! Try it on kid."

I let the metal cube sit in my hand for a few seconds. A very light hum came off the item. The only reason I even noticed is because of the slight vibrations it gave off in my hand.

Without much thought, I tied the cube around my neck with the long black sting and let it hang next to my cyclops pendant. I didn't feel any change in my abilities.... Bernard nodded at me.

"Great, I think that'll be enough for now. You're not much of a shield user are you?"

I looked at him in disgust. Sure, it might help me out a lot in close combat battles but It would slow me down a lot. Speed is my number one stat that I take advantage of. Plus, just picturing myself with a shield makes me laugh. None of the main heroes in comics use a shield. It may be a pretty childish thought, but I think going into battle without a shield looks so much cooler.

"Nope, you're right. Definitely not a shield user."

He sighed.

"What a shame. Well, I hope luck favors you today. We're heading back."