Chapter 114

I look around the boss room until my teammates come into view.

Arie is running circles around the mutant slashing its weak points as the others work in perfect unison to distract the beast.

Abby continues to heal Bruce as he takes hits from the monster's sword. Most are blocked by his hammer, but the occasional stray hit slips through.

Maria and Nessa look much more comfortable working as a team with a direct goal in mind. They keep its shield busy while Arie gets to work.

I smile and cross my arms watching the tan-skinned dagger wielder zip across the battlefield. Now that I think about it, I should ask him for a few tips later, I'm sure my blade skills would get significantly better if he helped me train.

About six precise dagger slashes later, the final mutant falls to its knees at Arie's mercy.

It's over.

The massive King's corpse begins to dissolve and I hear the faint sound of metal hitting the hard rock floor. I turn to see a massive pink mana crystal beside a golden ring with a dark red jewel embedded in its face. I use appraisal.

[High Ogre King's Ring] +60% Mental Strength

I pick up both the loot items and spin them around in my right hand as I hold both my daggers in the left.

"All yours, you earned it."

I look up to see Arie wiping his blades clean on his cloak while the other four team members follow close behind smiling wide.

With a sigh, I take off the first ring I ever got from a boss battle, the mutant werewolf's ring. It only has a 20% metal strength boost, arguably my worst percent boosting item. All my slots are full for now, so I have to make a switch if I want to try out this new drop. I throw it in my item storage along with the mana crystal and place the new High Ogre King's ring on my finger, the difference is instantly noticeable.

As I admire my new jewelry, a flash of white light appears between my group and me. Maria was about to call out but was rudely interrupted by a red-suited examiner.

Rodrigo appears and looks me in the eyes with a crooked grin, then his gaze slowly moves to the others.

"Congratulations, it looks like all 6 of you have passed the exam."

He turns back to me, staring intently with his dull white eyes.

"I'd like to offer you a position at the Hunters Association."

I gulp.

He turns to the others.

"This goes for all of you, you've passed one of the hardest C-Class exams ever given. The Association is looking for hunters with abilities just like yours."

Rodrigo turns back to me.

"This offer is optional for everyone here, except you."

I clench my jaw and stare back at him without saying another word.

Arie's voice rings out from behind the examiner.

"I accept. I'd like to join the Association."

Rodrigo slowly nods.

"Very well-"

The white light of the dungeon's transfer magic begins to activate and my vision goes blank. Moments later, we're all stood close together in a rather narrow tunnel...

It's very dark. The floor, walls, and ceiling are all made of hard black stone, and about 20m in front of us is another light grey spinning mass of energy. There's the normal return portal behind, but... there's two in such close vicinity. I whisper to myself.