Chapter 170

Rylan packs up all of our gear. Both of us ready our swords before walking deep into the 10th-floor dungeon.

He's not my preferred travel companion.

I'd rather just Dungeon Walk up to floor 19 myself, but at least I know 7 floors up from here is the highest he'll go.

With Fisher watching my every move, I was worried I wouldn't comfortably be able to go all out. It may have been interesting to see how an Elite fights, but It's much more fun to do it on my own.

We begin marching up the floors at a pretty solid pace. I don't mind the wait. Just 2 hours or so per floor is nothing compared to the month-long mental solitude I've faced 2 times now.

Rylan is spitting facts about the Association in my ear all the way up. A good history lesson never hurt anybody.

We take breaks every 1 or 2 floors to stop and rest. The redhead is actually not bad with his sword. The mobs we're facing aren't too strong, but they aren't too weak either. He is a mid-level C-Class.... The hunter's cheerful attitude just distracts me from the fact that he's been in the association for over a decade.

Rylan is a seasoned fighter in his own right.

After about 9 hours of straight walking and slashing, we make it to floor 14. We take a long break near the entrance portal on this floor, there's just 3 more before our destination.

The redhead speaks up while swallowing a mouthful of food he just recently pulled from his item box.

"Hey Jay, why'd you become a hunter at the Association anyway? You don't seem to like the director much, and you don't even wear a standard-issue uniform."

I grab an apple from the food pile Fisher left us and take a bite. Swallowing before I answer.

"I just wanted to get stronger. This seemed like it'd be the only way."

Rylan nods, looking up at the sky.

"Well, they only pick out one new elite squad per region every year, so you totally lucked out!"

I shrug.

"Lucked out? Maybe. I think luck just gets you where you deserve to be faster. For better or worse, right?"

The redhead looks at me with a confused look, then carries on with his nonsensical rambling differing the conversation to a completely different topic.

We carry on with our walk upwards soon after.

Another 4 hours pass and we make it to the 16th floor. This is the miniature version of The Great Plains dungeon. Apparently, this is the place where Rylan and his team usually train. He speaks up.

"This is our last floor, we should be able to meet my team by the boss room portal. The Director sent them a transmission to let them know our estimated arrival time. That's where we usually meet up before jumping floors anyways."

We head to the back of the dungeon without another thought.

Although we rushed through these 7 floors, about 25k MP worth of crystals was farmed from mobs that attacked us on the way. I'll have to scrounge up another 25k myself at some point during the week.

As we approach the backside of the dungeon, my enemy detection radar picks up on double the readings it's supposed to. There are 4 extra entities nearby, and they're all over level 360...

I speak up to Rylan as we approach the top of the final hill that leads down to the portal below.

"Hey... We have company. It's not just your team down there."