Epilogue - Becky

I hang up the phone and crawl into myself, trying to drown my feelings...trying to drown myself...

trying to drown myself

Stephan...It's been a year...It's been...a lot of time... I look at his bed, his lying there...with all those tubs and machines surrounding him...Am I making you suffer? Am I making this longer than it needs to be?... It's been so long...since I heard your voice for the last time...I...I can't take this anymore... I've been trying...

I stand up and sit next to him in his bed. I look at his closed eyes...I hear his weak breathing...

Becky: I'm tired...-I take a deep breath.- I don't know If I can keep doing this anymore but I can't help it...I want to be on your side...but... I... love you...-My voice breaks, I'm starting to cry again.-How can you do this to me? Why did you have to come, you silly psycho!!! Why did you have to do this, why did you leave me alone...I wish I was the one...I love you Stephan...Do you hear me? I love... you... Please...come back. Please, Stephan...Please...wake up...

I start sobbing uncontrollably...Please Stephan... Do you hear my voice?

-----

The next day I woke up on top of him. I must have fallen asleep while crying. I panic and check that all the tubes and machines are still where they need to be...Stephan... 

Becky: I want you to come back...I love you... I need you to come back...I love you....Do you hear me? -As always...I try to wake him up with my useless attempts... I should get the nurse to see If he needs anything.- I'm going to be right back.

I stand up and leave the room, next to it, there's a coffee machine where I make myself an espresso. After waiting for the cup to be filled I start walking towards the reception when I hear a loud electronic bip coming from Stephan's room. From afar I see how the nurses quickly stand up from reception. My heart stops beating and I can't breathe. 

I storm inside the room as quickly as I can and there... 

I see him. And...

He sees me... 

I slowly approach the bed while the nurses storm inside the room and check on him

Nuse: It seems like the finger pulse was removed...Quick, we need to remove his breathing tube.- Three nurses cover him and I can't even look at what's going on...He was awake...wasn't he?