28.

Chapter 28

Jiang Tang ran into Ou Yang and his elderly grandmother when she was on the way taking Chu Yi to school. They live in the Garden community across the street. The area is a low-income apartment used by ZF projects for the elderly who have no family. The rent costs only 50 yuan per month, including water and electricity. Life is convenient, but the buildings are old and the environment is not as good as residential buildings.

Under the mottled sun, Ou Yang’s thin body was carrying two cowhide bags full of sweet potatoes.

Those bags are nothing to an adult, but  it almost crushed his little back.

“Yang Yang, let grandma carry it.”

Ou Yang said nothing, shaking his head in silence.

The old woman sighed, took out the handkerchief and wiped the sweat on his forehead, following him with a faltering pace.

The tree shadow swayed after the light, both of his hands were long torn by hard sacks, but his eyes were full of firmness.

Suddenly, Ou Yang seemed to detect someone’s gaze, he looked over and his eyes collided with them.

Noticing the school uniform Chu Yi was wearing, the old woman said very affectionately: “Yang Yang, he is in the same school as you.”

Chu Yi looked hesitantly and slowly said: “Hello Grandma, I’m Ou Yang’s classmate.”

“Hello, hello.” The old woman greeted him back. When she heard that he was Ou Yang’s classmate, she immediately smiled brighter: “I’m so worried that Yang Yang has no friend. This child doesn’t like talking much.”

She was very happy and pulled the sacks on Ou Yang’s back and took out a crumpled cloth bag from her pocket. It wrapped some change in the cloth bag, which was roughly estimated to be only over 80. She took out the largest bill of ten and gave it to Ou Yang, and then bent down to carry the bag on the ground, “Hurry go school with your classmate, don’t be late again. Your teacher has reported me before.”

“It’s still early, “ Ou Yang pursed his lips, “It’s not too far, I’ll reach in a few steps.”

“Go, go, take the money to eat something good at lunch. Grandma will stew fish for you tonight.”

She waved her hand, turned and staggered away.

Among the pedestrians coming and going, her short and vicissitudes of the figure quickly mixed into it, and disappeared from the view in a blink of an eye.

Ou Yang glanced at the two and walked to school without saying anything.

Chu Yi blinked, and suddenly broke free of Jiang Tang’s hand: “Mama, I’ll go to school myself.”

Jiang Tang froze for a moment: “Can you?”

“Yes, I can.” Chu Yi nodded, “I don’t need to pick me up in the evening. Goodbye, mama.”

He waved his hand at Jiang Tang and trotted away. 

She furrowed her eyebrows and smiled after that.

It was indeed the right decision to move out. Chu Yi seemed to become lively and active.

Along with the chirping sounds of birds, the students gathered at the school.

Chu Yi soon caught up with Ou Yang. Because he ran too fast, his breath was slightly unsteady. After stabilizing his breath, he looked at a new desk mate of his and said: “Ou Yang, let’s be friends.”