Chapter 2 - The Chance

When I was 17 I went on holiday to Barcelona with some friends during the off season. It was my first independent holiday and I was so looking forward to it. I wasn't a big drinker (I mean I wasn't technically old enough at the time but that didn't matter), I still enjoyed a few sociables with friends. I was looking forward to having some chill time with the girls, hanging by the pool, eating nice food and having a good time. Lots of banter was inevitable within the group.

Little did I know, the girls had a surprise up there sleeve that I was unaware of.

At the time we were in Barcelona, the women's team were holding trials for up to 18 year olds and without my knowledge, the girls had signed me up to attend a trial. When I found out, I was shocked, excited and grateful. But honestly, I had no expectations and I knew that I had probably missed my chance, most professional players had been signed up by professional clubs at a young age, even from the age of 6. Here I was as a 17 year old, having never been part of a professional football club, attending a trial for of all clubs, Barcelona. What the fuck was they thinking.

Anyway, I attended the trial and all the girls who attended the trial were amazing, proper ballers. I did feel slightly intimidated, but after a while I thought fuck it, I just need to enjoy it, forget about what could happen and just play how I know I can play. My nickname was Twinks after all, as much as I was embarrassed by the nickname it was now how I was referred too by majority of people in my life.

The trials had come to an end and I had done all I could, I had no expectation and was actually just really grateful for the experience and the time I had spent there, it was incredible.

To my surprise, they actually wanted to sign me. Eh? What the fuck. Barcelona wanted to sign 17 year old me, from Yorkshire in England. That couldn't have been right. I was turning 18 a few months later and they said they wanted to sign me on my 18th Birthday. None of it felt real, I think I was just in shock for those few months, waiting to sign the contract.

So when I turned 18, I moved to Barcelona having signed a 2 year contract with the club, they already told me that I would be part of the B team and I had a lot to do to get upto scratch having never been part of a professional club before. However, due to the time I always spent training myself and the hours I put into the gym that side wasn't going to be much of an issue.