Chapter 108 - Christmas

Leah's P.O.V

Today has been...wholesome. Our last Christmas Day before little legs, as Ellie refers to the baby, arrives, spent with both of our families under one roof. It's not two separate families anymore, its one big family as I take a moment to look around the room, people from both sides laughing, chatting and merry with each other. But there's one person who I can't stop looking at...Ellie, of course.

"Auntie Ellie, stop cheating" Ava pouts at Ellie, the sass in her has just got bigger as she has got older

"Me? Cheat? Never" Ellie smirks, who is quite clearly cheating, they are playing guess who and Henry is stood behind Ava, pointing at characteristics of people around the room that match Ava's person. Quite smart if I'm honest.

I laugh as I notice Henry running over to my mum and point at her hair, my mum not having a clue what's going on

"Does yours have red hair?" Ellie asks

"Urgh. Yes" Ava quips

Ellie looking smug as ever as she puts down the people who don't have red hair. I've said it a million times before but it makes me fall more in love with Ellie every single time I see her with Henry and Ava, even more so that this time next year, what I'm staring at right now, will include our baby. My heart skipping a beat at the thought.

It's been a tough few weeks but as I sit, taking it all in, it gives me a minute to reflect, and it's not all been bad...

Flashback 1:

"Not a little smudge anymore" Ellie says to me as she grips my hand tightly, placing a gentle kiss on my hand, tears in her eyes as she stares at the baby on the scan machine. She's right, it's definitely not just a smudge anymore, we can see the head, the nose, the hands and fingers, the feet and tiny toes.

I'm obviously fully aware there is a baby growing inside of me, but it still feels surreal, even more so when we see the baby on the screen. I still can't believe we are having a baby, I honestly couldn't be happier right now, and seeing Ellies face as her eyes glaze over, intently staring at the screen, I know she feels the same, the pride spread across her face makes my heart skip a beat. There is no where I would rather be right now and no one I would rather be doing this with either. I pinch myself sometimes, wondering how the hell we both managed to get here. But we did. And we did it together. Always.

"Would you like to know the gender?" The midwife asks

Ellie and I look at each other, we'd both briefly discussed this but never actually made a decision

"Do you?" I ask

"I don't know. Do you?"

"I don't know" I laugh

"I could write it down and pop it in an envelope?" The midwife smiles

"Hmm...I'd open it if we had it" Ellie says

"What would you prefer?"

"Honestly?"

"Yeah?"

"I'd prefer it to be a surprise, but if you want to know, then I'm happy to find out too" Ellie smiles as she grips my hand

"We'll leave it as a surprise" I smile at the midwife

"Are you sure?" Ellie asks

"Mmhmm"

Ellie leans up and places a kiss on my forehead "I love you"

"I love you. Always"

Flashback 2: