Chapter 101 - World Cup

Ellies P.O.V

Leaving for Australia was, to say the least, an emotional goodbye between Leah and I. Neither of us know whether Leah is actually going to make it out to Australia due to her rehab, hospital appointments and various other things she has planned to keep herself busy. If there is a chance, albeit a slim chance, it will only be in the later stages and obviously that depends on whether we make it out of the group stages or not, which I'm hoping we will. My mum and dad are flying out and I know Amanda is also flying out at some point as she is also coming to see Jacob who is here in Australia playing football, so it will be good to see them both at some point too.

——

I've been over in Australia for just over a month, we got through the group stages, and we recently won our round of 16 match against Nigeria, luckily getting through after winning on penalties to make it though to the quarter finals.

I've actually loved the tournament so far, we probably haven't played the best as a team, but we've all dug deep and picked up the results, which is what you need in a tournament like this, its not about how you win, it's just about winning. It's also still very surreal that I have captained the team for this World Cup, nothing much has changed in terms of how I am with the team, I've had to get used to doing more press conferences and I've also had to ensure I keep my, lets say, more passionate side at bay whilst playing, discipline is important in these tournaments to avoid picking up a ban, so I've actually been on my best behaviour, I suppose the added pressure of captain has helped with that too.

We get a day off today to spend with our families, something we have been able to do throughout the tournament which has been nice, been able to take some time away from football and spend some time with our loved ones before refocusing back on the tournament once we get back in camp, we can't stay focused 24/7, that would be impossible, we needed time to relax outside of the camp environment.

I'm not going to lie, it's been pretty tough between Leah and I, were fine, but the time difference has made it harder than it would be normally to speak to each other, Leah hasn't also always been in England either, but we've done our best, even if its meant sending each other a text, knowing the other one is asleep, or busy. I don't think even now I'm used to the time difference, I basically annoy the team as I constantly ask "What time is it back home" and now its just become a bit of a running joke. I miss her. I miss her so much. This is the longest we have ever been apart in the last year, its been 5 weeks since I left. Of course, we see each other on FaceTime but it's just not the same.

——

I've spent this morning with my Mum and Dad, bit of exploring and now we are actually going for lunch with Amanda and Jacob as Amanda is now in Australia. I know it sounds daft but I'm actually looking forward to seeing them, because they will remind me of Leah, I don't know, maybe it will make me feel closer to her in some way.

I enter the restaurant, Mum and Dad in front of me, as I follow them closely behind. I look up at the table. Amanda, Jacob. And...Leah.

"What the fuck" I mumble as I raise my hand to my mouth, in complete shock. Leah's beaming smile smiling back at me, as she jumps up and practically throws herself in my arms

"Hi" she whispers in my ear as we grip each other tightly, silent tears now falling from both of our eyes

"Hi" I slightly lift my head up as I hover it in front of Leah's face "What the fuck are you doing here?" Both of us laughing lightly as our foreheads rest against each others

"Missed you didn't I" Leah smirks

"I've missed you" I whisper "So much" before I place my lips onto Leah's, a long, soft kiss. A kiss both of us have longed for. Butterflies filling my stomach.